Prologue

Intro before you begin the story:

____ means (y/n)

Sepia is a "Reddish-brown" color. It's darker than caramel, similar to mocha or bronze, but I don't like using foods as a way of describing darker skin colors.

The concept of people the people from the sea and other things in this book is from the anime "A lull in the sea" so credit to those writers, but I'll be changing a lot of stuff. The show is on Netflix, and it's a pretty good romance. I recommend it. If you haven't watched it, a simple explanation is that Ena is a thin layer that covers the skin of people from the sea. It allows them to be able to breathe underwater, but if the Ena dries up then someone from the sea could die. People on the and sea worship the sea god and he loved the lady Ojoshi, at one point in time.

I hope you enjoy the story!

~~~~~

Our story begins on a sunny day. The sun was high above the clouds and shined brightly, reflecting of of the surface of the blue sea. Many miles below the sea, was a large city, with tall houses, and lanterns of the blue sacred flames illuminated the dark streets of the ocean floor. This city was named Shiokarai. Different species of fish swam in thick schools through the city, and the kelp surrounding the city swayed gently in the current. The town was always bright and full of life, but usually quiet, unless she was around.

"It's my birthday!" A loud, ecstatic voice echoed through the city. A young girl ran out of her house, which was the biggest in the city. She ran out of her house, and down the main road of the city. Her thick, curly brown hair bounced around, creating small bubbles as she ran. Her bright blue eyes sparkled like stars, and her Ena made her Sepia skin shimmer in the sunlight.

"Happy birthday, Lady ____!" An old woman said.

___ smiled brightly, deep dimples adorned her chubby cheeks. "Thank you, Miss Kikyo."

"Stop by later! I'll make your favorite meal."

"Oh, that would be lovely! Thank you."

____ bowed respectfully before she took off running again. She ran all the way to the shrine, where the sea god's scale laid on a small futon in front of the blue sacred flames, that danced with the push and pull of the current. The flames grew brighter when she entered the shrine.

"Lord Kaname!" She exclaimed as she swung the doors open. "Guess what today is~"

"Ah, right." He got up from his seat. "Today is dusting day."

'No," she said. "It's my birthday!"

"Ah, right," he said with a chuckle. "I know. I didn't forget."

'Yeah right," she grumbled.

He chuckled again and laid back on his futon. "You're 20 years old today, so I guess I need to let you go," he trailed off. "Off on your own... in the dangerous world.."

"Yes!" She said happily. "I'll get to explore the land and meet new people! Oh, I'm so excited! A brand new place to play!"

"Yeah yeah, but remember, Areum. Be-"

"Be careful because as the only direct descendant of the sea god, it will be my job to protect all the oceans and the people of the sea," she recited, as if he told her that a million times.

Kaname shook his head and sat up straight. "I'm serious, Areum."

___ sighed and walked over to the sacred flame. She reached her hand out and let the wild flames dance along her fingertips. Since she's a descendant of the sea god, the flames don't burn her, or even feel hot to her. "I can feel it," she said. "His will, through the flames. He wants me safe, but all you want is for me to be around to protect this shrine," she said, with a hint of a whine in her voice.