chapter five

chapter five:: help wanted- medium needed

TWO hours into Austin's party and the cops showed up, which definitely freaked Evan out since we both lied to our parents tonight and he got a call from his dad, which rarely happens. And because he has a habit of freaking out, I was rushed into his car and driven right back to my house.

"Evan, I told my mom I was staying at your house like you told me to!" I shrieked, looking at my house as all the lights were shut off.

"Well, you see, I told my mom that I was staying at your place," He huffed out, "So I guess we're both toast."

"Evan-"

"Look, I'm sorry, okay?" He panicked as he pulled out his phone, "My dad has been calling me nonstop and you know that can only mean one thing."

I sighed, "Something's really wrong."

"Exactly," He nodded, "So I have to pretend like I'm driving from your house."

"I don't know why you couldn't think of a better lie," I huffed out, grabbing my bag from the backseats, "Just call me when you get home, alright?" He nodded again as I got out the car, watching him speed off down the street before I looked at my house, groaning in silence. I guess I'm just going to have to lie too.

I slowly walked to my front door until I heard a voice behind me, "Why are you out here so late?"

I quickly turned around to see Luke by himself, having me raise a brow, "Why are you stalking me?" He stepped close to me, but once I did, I felt a surge of energy shoot up my spine. I had to clench my jaw to suppress my yelp.

"I actually happened to be in the neighborhood, thank you very much," He informed me and I rolled my eyes.

"What do you want?" I asked him, but put my finger up when he began to spoke, "Hold that thought." I then turned on my heels and proceeded to go inside my house and creep upstairs with Luke following behind as if anyone could hear him.

"Dawn," My mother suddenly called and I glanced over the railing to see her leaving the kitchen, "What are you doing home?"

"I-Uh-" I paused, feeling Luke standing next to me, also looking over the railing to look at my mom.

"You look just like her," He commented, but in a whisper.

I refrained from answering, "Evan's parents had an emergency and I just thought it'd be best if I came back home."

"Who's Evan?" Luke asked me, "Is that your boyfriend?" I then shot him a look, but noticed my mother come up the steps.

"Is everything okay with them?" She asked me and I shrugged.

"Not sure, but I told Evan to call me if anything," I lied and she walked past me, nodding slowly.

"Okay, but just don't do that thing again," She huffed out, motioning towards the door, "I heard you creeping in the house and thought it was some intruder. Just call me beforehand, so I know you're on your way."

I hummed at her request, but felt Luke touch the ends of my hair, causing me to briefly whip around and smack his hand. I then quickly look at my mom, "Will do."

She gave me a skeptical look, but moved on, "And tomorrow, you think you can contact your father after school?" She asked me and I furrowed my brows at her, "I just... I just want to-"

"It's fine, mom. I will, don't worry." I assured her and she nodded before walking up the stairs and telling me to head to bed. I then walk up the stairs with Luke behind me all the way until I got inside my room and locked my door. When I turned to face Luke, he was checking himself out in the mirror, "Can you be more annoying?"