- Games -

"Max Sterling!" I shout looking around the arcade filled with children and parents that are currently judging me very harshly. As I continue to shout, I can just feel the disapproving stares on my back, I huff as I try to think of where this little rascal could be. I turned my back for one second to get our unlimited plays cards and he's already taken off into the arcade! Just breathe.. just breathe... 

  After taking a few moments to pull myself together I think about where Max would go first in this arcade... Suddenly my eyes land on the playhouse that doesn't require a card. Of course! He loves to climb things.. and he also loves to jump off of things! As I race to the colorful playhouse I see a glimpse of a spider man coat going up the stairs. That's got to be him.
  Finally I reach the playhouse and begin to call for Max, in my mind praying that he's harmlessly playing inside this big colorful house. 
 "Max Sterling come here right now!" I call after him as he gets higher into the playhouse.
"Uh a little busy right now!" He hollers back. I shake my head and then rub my temples because of the headache that I'm getting from all of the children yelling and running around.
"Max do not make me come in there!" I yell, debating in my head if I should really go in and get him. I mean it's definitely possible, I think I'm small enough to fit through the holes and all... However, if I did that I would probably be the laughing stock of the arcade and definitely be receiving more disapproving looks from the parents. I sigh, weighing my options, to be extremely embarrassed or to be responsible and get the kid. 

   As I was contemplating my two options I realized that Max was at the top of the playhouse.. and not just on the inside but the outside! How did he even get on the outside!  Since when was that a thing? Talk about a safety hazard for children. 
"Max get back inside the playhouse this instant!" I yell at him. He looks at me with a goofy smile on his face.
"Fine fine!" He shouts before turning to go back through the little window on the roof of the playhouse. Shortly after I hear him squeal as he begins to slide down the roof. Oh dear god.
"Miss Sophia! I don't think I can get back in the playhouse. I think I have to jump... but it's a little far." Max hollers down to me with hints of fear in his voice.
"Don't you dare jump! Stay put I'm coming to get you." I shout back in horror. Images of Max jumping off the tall playhouse displayed in my head and the ending was not pretty. I could hear all the parents whispering and gasping. Even some of the children stopped to stare.

Heading into the playhouse most of the little kids surprisingly tried to make room for me and moved out the way. Hurrying I pushed myself through the small spaces that I never thought I could even fit between. Finally I was making progress and was almost to the top of the playhouse... My heart dropped when I heard Max's worried voice call out to me. 

 "Sophia hurry! I think I'm slipping!" He yells followed by a bunch of gasps from all of the people watching. Frantically I made my way to the window leading to the outside of the playhouse... Why would they even put this window here?? Shaking my head I opened it up and pushed myself through it. I kept one foot planted on the step below the window and the other on the roof of the house.
"I'm scared." Max whimpers and my heart feels as if it's physically breaking.  I feel a pang in my chest, letting me know that my anxiety is creeping up on me. Please do not have a panic attack right now... 
 "Don't worry Max... I'm here now okay?" I reassure him.
 "O-okay." He whispers quietly. 
"Don't look down, okay" I tell him as I edge my way closer. Now taking a glance around I realized that everyone was watching and that I'd never been in an arcade so quiet. Trying to stay calm I inched my way closer to him. Finally I made it to where we were in about arms length distance. 

  "Okay Max honey, I'm gonna need you to very very slowly turn your body around and grab my hand..." I instruct him trying to hide the fear in my voice. I watch intently as he begins to maneuver himself and slowly turns himself around. 

  "That's it... nice and easy" I coax as he keeps turning. 

   "I think I got it-" He starts before he loses his footing and slides off of the roof with a bloodcurdling scream. His smalls hands clasp onto the edge of the roof and I let a loud gasp really beginning to freak out. 

   "Max! Hold on honey, I'm coming!" At this point my whole body is on top of the roof and I'm trying to slide my way down to him without falling off myself. Did I mention that I also have a fear of heights? 
   "I- Im slipping!" Max yells one hand falling off and the other slowly sliding. Moving faster than ever I reach him and go to grab his hand but it slips and he falls off... I scream his name in horror and peer over the railing...  To my surprise some man is holding him tightly. Max is clinging to him for dear life and I feel like I'm about to burst into tears. Oh thank god.
  The muscular man slowly sets Max down and then he looks up at me.
  "Your turn." He says.