Chapter Two

My wings lifted me high into the air, as I flew faster than I ever had before. I only had one thought, get back to my family. The tree tops were mere speckles of green as I raced towards my destination. I slowed a fraction when I saw coiling smoke rising above town. I gathered up my power and stretched out my hands, letting the air follow my command. The smoke cleared slightly, and I saw my chance. I swooped down in the direction of my house and I landed swiftly on the ground.

What I saw filled me with fear and sorrow that was so strong, I fell to my knees. Hundreds of fairies lay on the street, pale and lifeless. I cried out when I saw my mother's and father's bodies lying motionless on the ground. Their arms and legs tangled together, covered in blood.

A sharp piercing scream filled my ears, pulling me out of my reverie. I looked up, tears blurring my vision as I saw a small girl cowering from a Dark One. I stood, I was determined to vanquish every single Dark One who dared come into the fairy realm and destroy everything I knew and loved.

Dark Ones were shaped like humans but with an ethereal quality. They were made of an air like substance, sometimes it feels as if they are touching you, and other times they are like an icy breeze, chilling you to the bone.

I ran to the Dark One and threw as much energy at it as I could. A huge lighting bolt was created, and it was heading straight for my target.

The bolt reached the Dark One with a loud boom and it disappeared, unable to withstand the light I threw at it.

The Dark Ones only have one weakness; light. Dark Ones often cower in the shadows waiting for the right chance to pounce. Only the Immaculate can kill a Dark One, but any kind of light weakens them, often causing them to disappear. Which explains the smoke, it was use to block out the sunlight.

I bent down to look at the girl and was taken aback. It was Shirin. She was barely recognisable. Her clothes were coated in dirt, cuts and scrapes covered her body and her hair was a tangled mess. Her bottom lip quivered as I pulled her into a tight bear hug, tears stinging my eyes.

In the corner of my vision, I noticed a large black blob coming towards us.

I turned to face it and saw it was hundreds of Dark Ones, quickly gaining on us.

I held Shirin in my arms and I lifted off the ground. I flew as fast as I could, while whispering sweet nothing's in Shirin's ear.

I was headed for the gate at one of the corners of the fairy realm. If I could open the gate I could enter the portal to the human realm. Very few fairies have entered the human realm. Most have never returned, but I was willing to take the chances.

The Dark Ones were right behind us. I pushed my muscles to the max just to make it that little bit further.

The portal was up ahead, but the gate was blocking anyone from entering. I landed roughly right in front of the gate. I looked up at the intricate detailing, as I tried to work out the code.

Shirin pushed me aside and started twisting, turning, pulling and pushing different parts of the gate.

My mouth fell agape when the gate swung open, the rusty hinges creaking. Shirin grabbed my hand and we jumped into the portal.

*****

I'm really sorry everyone. For some unknown reason Wattpad is stuffing up the first chapter, turning it into the second one (if that makes any sense). I am currently trying to fix it, but hang in there!

Em