Chapter Three

The acrid smell of alcohol and urine filled my nostrils. I sat up and assesed my surroundings. I was lying in a dark alley way, dingy apartments sat either side of me.  

I looked over at Shirin, she was the only one I had left. Tears leaked down my face when the memory of my mother's and father's death flashed before me.  

Shirin stirred next to me and I quickly wiped away my tears when she sat up. 

"How are you feeling?" I asked, plastering a small smile on my face. 

Shirin answered "I'm ok, but where are we?" 

"We're in New York." I yawned and stretched my arms. "Oh and Shirin, how did you unlock the gate?" 

She smiled sheepishly, "Well, you know how after school on Wednesdays I go to Karen's house?" I nodded and motioned for her to continue. "Um, instead Igowatchtheguardsatthegate." Shirin blurted out. 

My eyebrows rose in surprise and she quickly said, "Please don't yell at me, I was curious and I've always wanted to visit the human realm." 

I couldn't be mad at Shirin, no matter how hard I tried. However, I was proud that she could sneak past at least twenty guards unnoticed. Her heritage must have helped a lot, because when you have all of the elements on you side almost anything is possible. Being an Elemental has always been an advantage. The Elementals are the second rarest type of fairy, closely followed by the Healers. Don't get me wrong, the Dreamers are very powerful, but some of their powers only work on humans.

New York City originally received its common name 'the city that never sleeps' from the fairies. One hundred years ago, there was an outbreak and hundreds of fairies escaped to the human realm. If a fairy goes though the gateway to the human realm, they will land in New York. So when the hundreds of fairies escaped, they all landed here. Fairies only need one to two hours of sleep everyday, so most of them were out at night. This is how New York earned its name. As the years went by, casino's and other forms of entertainment were invented and they became the reason for the popular name.

I've never been to the human realm before and honestly, I expected it to look nicer. But, when you're most likely the last of your race, you can't be fussy. The seriousness of this situation hit me like a strong gust of wind (get the joke? I'm an Elemental), if I let anything happen to Shirin or myself, the fairy race will be wiped out, and the Dark Ones will prevail. 

No matter the outcome, I will always keep Shirin safe. I promised to myself.

I stretched out my hands to help Shirin up, but I froze. Shirin forehead crinkles in confusion, "What's wrong, Erinna?" 

I snap out of the trance I was in, "Shirin, there is nothing behind you." I whispered. 

"So...why is that a bad thing?" 

I struggled to find the right words to say but I eventually got out, "Shirin, you wings are gone." 

"WHAT!" She screeches, "Yours are gone too!" 

My hands flew to my back, only to find nothing there.

My breath came out in short pants, how? How could my wings have disappeared?

The thought of seeing my bare back pushed me over the edge. I burst into tears. Salty water flowed down my cheeks, releasing my pent up emotions.

Shirin walked over and hugged my waist. I looked down at her eyes, those big blue orbs were filled with sorrow and heartbreak. I wrapped my arms around her when she begun to cry too, sobs wracking her small delicate frame.

We stood there in each others arms for what seemed like eternity. Finally, I composed myself. I hated looking weak in front of Shirin, she needed someone to look up to, and now, with Mum and Dad gone, I would have to try fill their shoes.

However big they may be.

I gripped Shirin's hand and lead her out of the alley.

We wandered aimlessly around the streets in a comfortable silence. I had yet to figure out a plan of action, but I was praying one would come to me soon.

The sun started to make its decent, colouring the skies orange, pink and purple. I looked down at Shirin, she was so young. No one should ever have to go through what she did.

Pain, sorrow and anguish filled me. Lately, they've been the only emotions I've felt.

Shirin looked up at me, "Erinna, what do we do?"

A sad smile formed on my lips. "Honestly, I don't know."

Silence overcame us once again. We walked for a few more hours until we came to a small park. I lead Shirin over to a rusty park bench. As I sat down the metal groaned in protest.

I pulled Shirin down and onto my lap. Her head rested under my chin and I wrapped my arms around her fragile body. "Sleep now Shirin." I whispered, "I promise things will get better tomorrow."

Shirin eyelids drooped close and I soon heard her steady breathing.

"Things will get better tomorrow" I said out loud, trying to convince myself. But I think Shirin and I both know that's extremely unlikely.

*****

Hi everyone,

Feel free to give suggestions to improve my writing or point out any spelling mistakes.

I won't ask anyone to vote or comment if you don't want to but if you do I would greatly appreciate it. :)

Until I update again...

Em