Chapter 19 - Merry Christmas

'Catch.' Olivia threw a small ball with a bell across the room. Crookshanks ran after it and tossed it around with his paws. 

'Shall we go?' Asked Hermione, finishing her ponytail. 
Olivia nodded and got up. They were finally allowed to put on their own clothes instead of their school robes. McGonagall had expressly stated that they were not allowed to leave their common room in their pyjamas or other untidy clothes under any circumstances, so Olivia had put on a crocheted sweater and some jeans. 
 Crookshanks meowed when he noticed that Olivia and Hermione were leaving.

'Do you want to come with us?' Asked Olivia in a high pitched voice. She picked him up and walked out of the room. 

The Hogwarts staff was determined to show the castle at its best this Christmas to impress the visitors. The castle was decorated with all kinds of beautiful decorations that Olivia hadn't seen last year. Everlasting icicles had been attached to the banisters of the marble staircase, Hagrid had set up twelve gigantic Christmas trees in the Great Hall, which were covered with everything from hooting, golden owls to luminous holly berries and candles. The suits of armour had all been bewitched to sing carols whenever anyone passed them. Filsch had already been busy getting Peeves out of the armors singing his own, not so neat version of White Christmas.

'They really pulled out all the stops, did they?' Said Hermione, while passing one of the singing armors. 

When they reached the Great Hall, Olivia received some dirty looks from a couple girls. Sighing deeply, she sat down at the table with her back turned towards the other tables. She put Crookshanks down on the table, which quietly passed all the products and smelled whether it was worth eating or not. Olivia and Hermione were just filling their plates when Lavender and Parvati passed by.

'Liv, is it true?' Asked Parvati. 'Are you going to the ball with Cedric Diggory?' 

Olivia nearly choked on her water when she heard the question. 'Who told you that?' She asked, coughing. 

'Padma told me, who heard it from Cho.' Said Parvati, who sat down next to her.

'So, is it true?' Asked Lavender astonished.

Olivia looked at Hermione, signalling with her eyes for help. 

'Jupp. She is going with Cedric.' Replied Hermione for her. 'He asked her a couple of days ago.' 

'Really?!' Asked Lavender. Olivia nodded slowly. 

'No way!' Replied Paravti. 'Why didn't you tell us sooner?' 

Olivia shrugged her shoulders. 'I don't know. I was afraid that word would get out and that I would get hexed by some sixht-years or something.' Joked Olivia.

'Well.. that might be the case.' Said Parvati. 'I heard that Cho was pretty pissed when she found out.' 

Olivia lowered her head to the table. 'Just what I needed.' 

'Hey, we're gonna make sure that nothing is going to happen to you.' Lavender gave her a small hug from behind. 

'Yeah, she's got nothing on you.' Joined Parvati. 'I mean, Cedric Diggory chose you, not her.' 

'Well technac-' Olivia was about to argue that when Paravti stood up. 

'I'm sorry, but we've got to go.' She entwined her arms with Lavenders. 'We still have to get a dress for Lavender.' 

'Oh, you should go to Wizardswear.' Suggested Hermione. 'They have a lot of dresses there.' 

'Okay, thanks!' Said Lavender. She wrapped her Gryffindor scarf around her.