Chapter Four

An idea popped up in my mind but I almost immediately dismissed it.

"What is it?" Poseidon questioned.

"H-how did you know I was t-thinking something?" I stammered out.

"Part of being a god," Poseidon answered mysteriously. "Now what was this idea of yours that you dismissed so easily?"

"What if..." my voice trailed off but regained its strength when I saw Paliria nod encouragement from behind the god. I had forgotten that she was still here. "What if I offered myself up as a sacrifice instead?"

"Hmm," was all he said as he stroked his tangled beard.

He then turned back toward the sea serpent, shaking and nodding his head, almost as if he were having a conversation with it.

Finally he whirled back around to me.

"Are you truly willing to make the sacrifice of a life for a life? Yours for that of your mother's? There will be no going back."

My heart in my throat, I nodded confirmation.

"I will," I said, my voice only shaking a little bit. "For my baby brother or sister."

Poseidon nodded his approval.

"Then Cetus accepts your sacrifice, Princess Andromeda of Aethiopia," Poseidon intoned.

"What must I do to prepare?" I asked, swallowing my fear as I followed Poseidon to the edge of the ocean, the surf running over my bare feet, announcing each cut on my foot like a sword wound.

"You must go to that rock." Poseidon pointed to the Thinking Rock with a gnarled finger. "And remain there until Cetus comes for you. Do you understand, mortal?"

I nodded solemnly, eyes to the ground as the enormity of my decision hit me.

Poseidon knelt on the ground, putting his strong hands around my shoulders.

I startled but he held on.

"You have made a decision not even most gods would've made, let alone humans. You are stronger than you believe. Stronger than any mortal I have seen in the history of the world. Without mortals like you, this world would've become a giant cesspool of human filth and deceit."

Tears pooled in my eyes as Poseidon spoke.

I quickly wiped the tears away with an edge of my now dirtied and torn undergarment so as to not embarrass myself in front of a god.

"I'm ready," I said, turning to the ocean with a sudden resolve.

My sibling would grow up in a new world, I promised myself.

That's what this is for.

Paliria waited for me in the surf.

I smiled grimly as she pulled me into a fierce hug.

"I'm so sorry," she said in a tear clogged voice.

"None of this is your fault, understand?" I said seriously, looking straight into her amethyst eyes. "I am choosing to do this."

She nodded tearfully and swam with me silently to our Thinking Rock.

As I climbed up on that rock, I thought back to a few weeks ago, when I was laughing with Paliria and oysters and pearls.

So long ago.

With a smile, I reached up and clutched my necklace as I turned to face the looming beast that soared over my head.

Its maw opened wide, revealing sharpened glass embedded in its gums instead of teeth.

I shuddered as that mouth closed around me, blocking out the sunlight.

My last thought was of a familiar voice shouting my name, saying she loved me.

But perhaps that was merely my imagination.