Chapter 12:When you're paired with an asshole and you can't do anything about it

Edited.

I walked to the room slowly, as each step I took brought more  fear into my heart.

   Dr Thompson walked with me into the children's section, room 3.

   I finally reached her bed, after a long time of contemplating whether to see her or not. There she was, unconscious with an oxygen mask laying on her nose and mouth. Her clothes were removed as the only thing that was on her body was her underwear. Whip-scars were all over her body marking her like a zebra with red and white marks. She looked so pale that she almost looked gone.

    Tears were brought to my eyes as I took her little hands into mine.

"She wanted Tulip to die a slow death". I heard Dr Thompson say.

   More tears were brought into my eyes.

  "Delanie, that place is dangerous for you. This is the second time this would happen, you might not have a third time".

  "But that is my parents home. I was born there. Tulip was born there. Most of our happy memories are in that house. How do you expect me to drop it and look away without having a second thought?" I said in tears.

    "Sometimes, you just have to learn how to let things go. That place is dangerous for you. That's why I'm angry. You had a chance to leave that place and you still deceided to stay".

  "I had no other choice!" I tried explaining.

  "You had a choice, Delanie. You had a choice to escape this pathetic life you're living but you still decided to leave it that way. You are not the only one in danger, Tulip is in more danger. Mind you, we've deceived Cassandra twice about Tulip's death. We can't deceive her forever!". He said.

  "I know. When we get to the river, we'll cross it". I said more tearfully.

"How did she even find out about her?  You promised to keep her secret".

"I've already told you how. I tried. I did. But one little miscalculation and all this happened. I wasn't expecting to see them in the sitting room. I thought they weren't home as usual". I explained.

"So what are your next plans now?" He asked.

"Honestly, Dr Thompson. I don't know". I said honestly.

  "Plan now, so that the future events won't catch you unawares. Tulip's in a stable condition now, and for now, there's nothing to worry about. I have other patients to attend to. I hope you find a way to save you and your sister from this mess on time". He said. Then he walked away.

      I held Tulip's hand and held it to my chest as I cried my eyes out. The more I remembered my parents, the more it hurts, the more tears flowed undisturbed.

    How could I cry at this critical moment? Was this the only pain I had been through?  I had been through worse and here I am, standing strong. So for Tulip, I must stay strong. I mustn't show them how weak I am.

  I thought as I cleaned my tears and blew my running nose. I took out my handkerchief, and cleaned Tulip's weak hands.

   "Don't worry baby. It's just a matter of time. The storm will soon be over". I whispered softly in her ears and kissed her on her forehead.

  Then I walked out of the ward and quietly walked home. 

  🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

I had to get to school earlier than usual. I missed a day at school, I can't afford to miss another or come late. I carried my two bags as usual, so people won't suspect that my allergy-prevention bag was fake. Although it felt light and uncomfortable, since it was empty. I was used to carrying Tulip, but now that she was in the hospital, I needed to continue the act, so that when she recovers and I put her in the bag, no one will suspect anymore.

   I left the vilian mother and her wicked child back at home with their food waiting for them as usual. Although I had my Trump card, I still needed to play along with them.

  I was having science this morning, so I walked as fast as I could to get to class before anyone.

  I sat at my usual seat, since the teacher actually made it compulsory. I put my head on the table to have a little rest as I waited for the others to come in.

   Dr Thompson was right. I needed to make a plan for Tulip and fast. Tulip can't be safe in that house, neither will I if they knew she was still alive. I need to get a place to stay, but the rent isn't easy to work for. We still find feeding ourselves a little difficult...now this?

   "Good morning class. Time for your presentation". I heard the teacher say.

   My head flew up.

  "What presentation?" I asked the student at my front.

   "The skeletal system project. She gave us last week!"

  "What?... When?". I asked , confused.

  Woods was sitting right next to me, with eyes glued to the ceiling.

  "You two over there, you're presenting first. I want to see how your team work has improved over the days". She said with a voice of horror as her fingers were pointing at both of us.

  Woods and I got up slowly.  Woods walked to the front of the class as I followed him quietly and humbly.

    "Your time starts...now!" She said. 

  There was silence and everyone's eyes were on me.

  "Good morning, y'all know my name. Now I can take my leave". Woods said and walked out of the class, leaving me to do it alone.

   I was so embarrassed. I didn't know what to say.

  "From what i just saw, you both look like you're still fighting and that affected your score. You do know that this project is 40 marks out of 50 and you managed to get a zero.  Thank you for your time. You can have your seat. You two over there, you're up". The teacher said.

  My heart broke to pieces.

  My scholarship...Just slipped away from my hands without me doing anything.

Why now?!!!