Chapter 5

"A curse was classified as a Dark charm, which was primarily defined as any spell that affected the object in a negative manner, typically associated with varying levels of discomfort.

A curse was the worst kind of dark magic, affecting the target in a severely negative manner.

While curses came in many strengths and forms, they were generally the most wicked, strongest, longest-lasting, and least reversible of the Dark charms"

~~~~~~~

Evelyn climbed the stairs to reach the highest stands, where she could have a better view of the Quidditch pitch while a large crowd of people filled the stadium.
Her eyes lingered on the covered side of the building that was reserved to the authorities and special guests.
She spotted also some professors, including a tall frame with dark hair.
Tom was sitting between the short Filius and the American Defence teacher.

As the trainings started, Evelyn noticed a student joining her on the highest stand.
Her heart tightened with sorrow as she recognized him, while the boy didn't even glance around and sat down placing some books on his lap expecting to stay alone.
The witch swallowed hard and walked to sit next to him.
"Severus" she called softly "How are you?".
The boy closed the book he had started to read and blinked at her "Mrs Riddle. Sorry, I didn't notice you".
"It's alright" she assured "Drop the formalities. You're not very interested in this game if you brought all these books".
He glanced nervously as his book.
She was saddened by how he looked like he didn't want any company and she was just annoying him.
"There's just too much to study. I don't want to fail any exam" he said dismissively.
Evelyn knew that he was one of the quietest and best students of his year, although Tom had mentioned that it didn't save him from being bullied.
"I remember how the seventh year is the most stressing one" she said with emphaty "So have you already any idea about some job for your life after Hogwarts?".
"I like working with potions. But I would also like to become a professor to stay here".
It immediately reminded her of Tom.
She smiled "I know you are stubborn enough to fulfil your dreams. We didn't meet much last summer. You know that you're always welcome to visit us whenever you want".
"Thanks. Since I turned seventeen, I wanted to enjoy adult life a bit".
The new comparison that popped into her mind was less happy. Because she feared that when Richard would turn seventeen too he would be tempted to enjoy adult life as well far away from his home and his family.
She had hoped that he and Severus could become close friends as she and Eileen were, but their different personalities didn't match. And Evelyn felt bitterly guilty for how her son was quite mean to Severus, calling him with wicked nicknames.
"That's good" she commented absentmindedly, then noticed some disturbance into the crowd of viewers.
Her eyes detected Fawley on his feet, waving his hands at her, inviting her to join him in the special stand reserved to the Ministry gang.
Evelyn glanced on the other side of the stand and crossed Tom's encouraging gaze.
Sighing, she forced herself to obey.
"It's been lovely to meet you, Severus" she said to the Slytherin boy, patting a hand on his shoulder "But duty is calling me. I hope to see you around sometimes and if you want someone to talk to, you know where to find me".
"Thank you, Evelyn" he said with a small smile, paying some efforts in being informal.

The witch made her way to the guests' pavillion, feeling her feet heavy like she had water demons around her heels trying to hold her still.

"Good morning, Mr Fawley" she said firmly, ignoring the glances that she was getting from the other viewers.
The wealthy wizard had stood up for her and had the smile of a winner.
"Mrs Riddle, what a pleasure" he grabbed her hand to lead her next to his seat "I kept a seat for you here but I feared you didn't come. Can I call you Evelyn?".
"Yes, of course. Or Evy".
"Thanks, Evy. And call me Vincent, please" he sat next to her, making her feel more unconfortable as his leg pressing against hers in the little room they had on the bench.
"So are you enjoying the game? The Durmstrang team seems very aggressive, but I bet that the team we chose for Hogwarts is the best one".
"Also the Japanese ones are very competitive".
His smirk turned into a mocking one "Yeah, but their methods are quite brutal. They will eventually break some rule that will make them expelled".
Evelyn forced a flattering smile, guessing that the Ministry team had giant plans to make the tournament go the way they wanted.
"The Ilvermorny one will be the first one to be excluded?" she suggested, driven by her jealousy for that flirty American teacher who was sitting next to Tom.
"I think so. Although we can't just tell them to leave when it will be clear they won't be the winner team. Americans are our greatest political ally".
Evelyn sensed the dangerous ground and wished to close the discussion "I understand, of course. But this is a game. Someone wins and someone has to lose".
The man grinned "You're very wise, Evy. I hope we can spend a lot of time together. I enjoy your company".
Evelyn couldn't say the same, but stood silent.