Chapter 8: How Fury Met Poseidon

(This is not my chapter and the credit of the characters goes to their respective authors)

It was a quiet Tuesday evening, and Nick was spending it at Percy's flat. He was settled comfortably in the armchair by the fireplace, book in hand. Percy was sprawled out on the couch, sleepily watching the flames dance in the hearth.
It was a rare moment of relaxation, and Nick was content to make the most of it.

At least until Percy's cell phone started to ring. The bartender jerked at the unexpected sound, flailing about until he managed to the phone from the coffee table. Pressing it to his ear, he said, "Hello?"

The sound of garbled words was all Nick could hear, but Percy groaned a moment later. "Seriously? You can't even deal with it by yourself?.. Gah, yeah yeah, I hear you. I'll be over in a couple minutes." Hanging up Percy heaved himself off the couch with a sigh and made for the front door.

"What's wrong?" Nick asked.

"Jack called form the bar. Said things were getting a bit busy and rowdy and that I should probably come over just in case." Pulling on his combat boots he swung open the front doo ran dgave Nick a tired smile. "I shouldn't be too long. I'll call you if things really go FUBAR.*" And with that he was gone.

While Nick was disappointed his time with his boyfriend was temporarily postponed, he knew Percy would be back in an hour or so and settled in to wait. Little did he know that Percy's departure was the cue for something far more sinister to come knocking at the door.

Not even five minutes after Percy had left, the door bell rang. Surprised by the sound (the only visitors they ever really got were fast food delivery guys and door to door business men, because Nico didn't use the door) Nick got up and went to the door. On the other side was a man in khaki shorts and a hawaiin shirt, left unbuttoned to show his bare chest. He had grey streaked black hair and a small beard and green eyes that were eerily similar to Percy's.

"Uh, hello?" Nick said, a little befuddled at the sight of the stranger.

"Is Percy in?" The man's voice was deep and his eyes watched him blankly.

"No, he just went out. He'll be here tomorrow though." As he spoke, Nick felt a shiver run up his spine and was immediately on guard. This man was dangerous in a way that thrummed with power. For the first time in a long while, Nick felt small and unimportant.

Well damn. If this was how people felt when he steamrolled over them then maybe he should be a little more considerate.

...Nah.

"Well, that's fine," the man said. "I wasn't really looking for him anyway. May I come in? I'd like to speak with you, Nick Fury." Before Nick could even say anything - or reach for his gun - the man was already stepping through the doorway and taking off his leather sandals. He moved past him easily and entered the living room with a sense of familiarity. He lowered himself into Percy's favorite armchair and regarded Nick patiently.

"Who are you?" Nick asked sharply, hand sliding to the gun holstered at the back of his belt.

"I," the man said, green eyes serious, "am Poseidon. You may know me as Percy's father."

Well, shit, thought Nick. Guess it was time for that belated 'you break his heart, I'll rip you to bits and throw you to the hellhounds' talk. It did seem to be several months late.

"Take a seat." Poseidon's voice was steady as he eyed the S.H.I.E.L.D. director.
Obeying the god's order - and how had he missed the fact that he was god, the powerful air around him should have told him immediately - Nick sat on the couch and bravely met Poseidon's gaze. There was a moment of silence before Nick drew up his courage and asked, "Do you want something to drink, Poseidon?"
————
Poseidon watched his son leave the comfortable flat, calling a goodbye to the dark-skinned man and rushing down the street to his bar. Of course, the crowd had been Dionysus' doing, as a little favor to Poseidon. The sea god had felt it was high time he go and meet Percy's chosen man.
He appeared on the flats doorstep as soon as he was sure that Percy was gone and rang the doorbell. There was a moment of silence then soft footsteps approached, and the door opened to reveal Percy's courter. He was average sized, with strong shoulders and a firm face. He had an eye patch covering his left eye but it didn't do his face any harm - in fact, it fit quite nicely. He had an strong presence, for a mortal, and moved with the grace of a fighter.