Chapter Seven: Masquerade

It was the day of the masquerade and, just as promised, the managers gave me a costume. I asked for a witch costume and that's what I got. I also haven't gotten my staff back from Erik. Now my costume feels incomplete but I'm gonna have to make do. I guess you could say we're kinda faffing about on the stairs right now when we all hit each other with our backs. The managers exclaimed out of shock while I just jumped because I know this scene.

"Monsieur Firmin?" André asked.

"Monsieur André?" Firmin asked.

We all turned around to see each other and the managers took their skull masks off. They laughed at their silliness.

'Dear André, what a splendid party,' I said with a rare smile.

'The prologue to a bright new year!' André said flinging his red velvet cloak open to reveal a skeleton outfit underneath.

'Quite a night, I'm impressed,' Firmin told him taking a glass of champagne from a waiter that walked passed.

'Well, one does one's best,' André said taking two glasses and gave one to me.

'Here's to us!' We said together.

'A toast to all the city,' André said.

'Such a pity that the Phantom can't be here,' I said tapping my mask.

We all laughed and the other masquerade guests appeared playing a few instruments. I was ecstatic! This is one of my favourite scenes in Phantom and I can't wait to experience it for real! Everyone then started singing 'Masquerade' and I joined in with a smile on my face. I also gave someone my champagne glass because I don't drink. This will probably be the only time Pir- I mean, Pippa, will ever see me smile. I'm not one to smile so it is very rare that you see me do it. A smirk is all you'll get from me if you're lucky. Speaking of, we were on the dance break when she approached me. She still had her blonde hair, an angel-like dress, angel wings and a halo.

"Do my optics (eyes) deceive me or is the witch actually having fun?" Pippa asked

"Don't tease me, Pippa. I want to make this moment last before Erik comes in with his Red Death costume and the Don Juan script," I told her.

Ah! Nearly time for the last lines! We sang with everyone and danced actually having a really good time.

'Masquerade!
Paper faces on parade
Masquerade!
Hide your face, so the world will never find you

Masquerade!
Every face a different shade
Masquerade!
Look around—there's another mask behind you

Masquerade!
Burning glances, turning heads
Masquerade!
Stop and stare at the sea of smiles around you