Chapter thirty five

Itinigil ni James ang sasakyan sa tapat ng bahay nila Penelope.

"We are here."

"Thank you."

James looked at Penelope. He gave her a gentle smile.

"I couldn't possibly let a pregnant woman go home alone, could I?"

Penelope chuckled. "That and I wanted to thank you for agreeing to help me."

James shrugged. "For old times' sake."

Natahimik ito.

James looked at the woman and noted the sad look that passed her face.

"You know I still think you should tell him about the child. It is his afterall." Putol niya sa malalim nitong pagiisip.

Penelope sighed. "My family would never accept him... and I don't want him to get hurt."

"And yet you chased him even though you knew that he will never get accepted in the society we live in. You even pretended it was Derrick you wanted so as not to make your parents suspicious." James chuckled. "You did it for how many years..." Ang hindi makapaniwalang dugtong niya.

Pen rolled her eyes at him. "When you fall in love, you can do even the most ridiculous things, James."

James smirked. "Duly noted." Muli niya itong tinitigan. "That is why I am telling you to tell him. Everest is a strong man both physically and mentally, Pen. He couldn't be hurt by anyone who doesn't matter to him. He is also the epitome of responsibility and duty. He will protect you. That is for sure."

"I don't want him to treat me as a responsibility... I want him to come to me because he loves me and not because he's bound by his duty for our child."

"Contrary to what you think, that is not what I witnessed earlier."

"What do you mean by that?"

"Well since we are starting to get closer, how about I let you in on something?"

Penelope's frown deepened. "About what?"

"Everest rarely shows his true emotions in front of other people. One thing he learned and mastered during his training as the family's retainer." James gave Pen a serious look. "But when he shows what he truly feels... he damn shows them like an open book— all bare and raw." Ibinalik niya ang tingin sa harap. "I saw the feelings he has for you the moment you bought me tonight. I saw envy, anger, fear, jealousy and sadness all at once."

"You're jesting..." Pen whispered in disbelief.

"Did I laugh?"

He scoffed when the look of disbelief remained on her face.

"If you don't believe me, you can ask him yourself." He shrugged.

"What?"

Tinitigan niya ang sasakyang nasa likuran niya mula sa rearview mirror. Sinundan ni Pen ang direksyon ng mga mata niya.

Marahas itong napasinghap. She twisted her body to see the familiar black car at the back.

"He's here..." Ang wala sa sariling turan nito.

"Plainly. So I suggest you get off my car now. I reckon you have a boyfriend to appease?"

"He's not my boyfriend." Pen grumbled.

"Your baby daddy then. Now off you go."

Pen glared at him. James just chuckled.

Hinawakan ni Pen ang door handle at saka itinulak pabukas ang pinto. Ngunit bago ito bumaba ay muli itong tumingin kay James.