*13* I told you so

Peyton POV

Its been about a week since Percy left. Annabeth's a mess. Of course I'm there for her. She's my best friend. She needs me. I can't forgive her for lying to me, but she's always there for me when I need her, so I owe her that much. She stays in my room nowadays, and the summer's officially started. I knew this would happen. I told her he would just break her heart. Did I not? Did I not tell him not to do it? Was I not adamant against it? I believe I was and did all such mentioned things. Percy calls every night and asks to talk to Annabeth but I can't let him do it. She'll just get more upset. She really needs to find a way to move on.
This is the exact reason I didn't want them to date. I fucking knew he would hurt her, and now I'm the one stuck helping her. It takes everything inside of me to not tell her I told you so. I'll tell her eventually.

She cries herself to sleep lately. I should kill Percy for doing this to her. I'll tell him next time he calls.
...

"Mom!"

"Hey Perce how's training going?"

"Its alright. I miss you guys. I-Is Annabeth around?"

"Perce..."

"I SHOULD KILL YOU!" I interrupted the call. "YOU BROKE HER!"

"I know! Okay! I know... thats why I wanted to talk to her. Nobody will let me talk to her."

"You won't let who talk to who?"

"Annabeth!"

"Oh." She turned to go back too my room.

"Annabeth wait." She stopped.

Annabeth POV

He's really pissing me off now.

"What? What do you want? Have you not taken enough from me?"

"I-I'm sorry." Everybody else left the room as I talked to him. "Its not my fault, I wish you would forgive me. Please. Wise Girl..." That hit a nerve. Where does he get off calling me that again?

"No! Y-you don't— you can't call me that."

"Annabeth." He corrected. "What is it going to take to get you to forgive me?"

"Percy... You, you broke my heart, and just left. You lied to me in the process and now, weeks later you're backtracking. I need you... to uhm understand how badly you hurt me. Do you even remember the things you promised me?"

"Yes of course I do, I don't understand why those are off the table."

"you broke up with me. That would effectively cancel our future plans together."

"I didn't mean to." I guffawed. How do you not mean to break up with someone?

"What?! Explain that to me. Explain how you unintentionally break up with someone. That has got to be one of the stupidest things you've said! You absolute Seaweed Brain!" I stamped my foot as his face hardened into a look he's never given me, I've seen him when he was arguing with Peyton or Tyson with that expression but he never wore that face with me. He swallowed.

"I thought I explained it to you."

"No! You did not. You said that we had to break up! How does that not mean exactly what it is?"

"I-Its not what I wanted it to mean."

"Fine then please big boy swimmer man please tell me what you wanted to say!"

"I wanted to take a break but not let you go."

"You wanted to keep me on retainer?"

"Not necessarily..."

"Oh my gods Percy, you can't do that! You can't keep someone dragging along because you'll want them back at some point!"

"I just thought that maybe when you graduate we could get back together because—"

"— It will look better for your image."

"Exactly."

"That makes me feel so great!" My voice thick with sarcasm.

"Annabeth please, please please! Don't give up on us! I will come back for you, this is just something I need to do and we can pick up where we left off. I promi—"

"You have to stop promising me things."

"Annabeth please believe me when I say I will come back to you. Since I can't promise you anything I will guarantee that I will return to you and that there hasn't been a day that I haven't woken up with you not in my head." He cant tell me these things. How can he say them with such certainty and confidence?

"You don't know what you're saying."

"Yes I do." His face softened finally. Back to a Seaweed Brain face that I recognize and love. "I love you Annabeth."

"Seaweed Brain." He smiled and I said goodbye to him and Sally came back to finish talking with him.