Chapter Nineteen

Bart nudged me to look towards Mikko. I inwardly groaned. I really didn't want to. But I looked in that direction to see a chest, very close to my face. I looked up to see Mikko smirking over me. Bart disappeared.

"You're sad," Mikko said matter-of-factly.

I shrugged and took a sip of my cider. "So what if I am?"

"You're supposed to be happy. Humans typically rejoice at a New Year."

I huffed and looked him in his eyes. "Most humans aren't in my situation, are they?" I took another sip of my cider, wishing it was something alcoholic. "Most people don't have to deal with your mood swings all this coming year."

Mikko smiled. "I know a few women who would be glad to put up with me for a year."

I scoffed. "Not women who know that you want nothing more than sex out of them."

"That's not all I want out of them." I felt his hand on the bottom side of my bump. "You're giving me children this year."

"Yeah, I am. What are you giving me?"

He chewed on that for a moment. "Anything you want." I opened my mouth, but he pressed his index finger against my lips. "Except that. You know I can't give you that."

I shrugged. "Looks like you're not going to be giving me anything of worth then."

He smirked. "I'll keep you happy enough."

He interrupted my retort with a simple kiss. It was in front of everyone. It was an obvious claim. Something that wouldn't go anywhere, but he was just jerking me around some more.

I pushed him away from me. "You need to get permission for that." I motioned towards the whores he was around earlier. "I'm not one of those whores you can just get what you want and leave."

Mikko stood up straight, hovering over me. "I'm not going to share my bed with any of those women tonight. I made you a deal and I'm going to stick to it."

I rolled my eyes. We'd see just how well that would go.

-----

I stretched as I woke up. Mikko had kept his promise and did not go home with any of those girls. He didn't even entertain the idea for any of them.

I didn't feel as wound up as I had been last night. It was amazing what one roll in the hay could do. When I didn't hit Mikko, I looked around the room. I was alone.

I had woken up alone in the hotel room when we had first met anyway, so I didn't think much about it. I got up and got ready for the day. I had to go to my work and put in my resignation.

If I was going to keep my pregnancy safe, I needed to be around the pack all the time. I couldn't do that when I was at work for hours on end.