Chapter 4

I woke up the next morning with a splitting headache and a gross taste in my mouth.

   I slowly rolled over and sat up.

   Kimberly sat on the couch, rubbing her temples.

   I hesitantly got to my feet. "Uh, good morning."

   She looked over at me, what looked like a blush forming on her cheeks. "Morning, um, how'd you sleep?"

   I walked into the kitchen, taking a seat at the table. "Like shit. You?"

   "Not much better." She replied.

   I rubbed the back of my neck. "Hey, about last night-"

   "I don't remember a thing, I got way to drunk." She said quickly.

   I nodded. "Yeah, me to..."

   We sat in silence for a minute before she stood. "Well, how about I make us some breakfast?"

   I stood up as well. "You made breakfast yesterday, let me handle it."

   She smiled a little. "Ok... Thanks."

   I gave her a nod before starting breakfast.

   A little while later, we found ourselves sitting on the couch, staring at the wall.

   "Who would've thought that the end of the world would be this boring?" Kimberly asked.

   I lit a cigarette. "I mean, it could be worse."

She grabbed the cigarette from my hand, taking a long hit. "True, we could be ash outlines on the sidewalk..."

I looked over at her as I slowly took the cigarette back. "That's kinda rough..."

She sighed. "I know, sorry... I'm just... It's just hitting me kinda hard today..."

I lowered my head. "I know what you mean..."

Silence filled the room after that. The agonizing silence, paired only with pure and utter boredom...

I slowly flicked my Zippo open, then closed it, the familiar clink ringing through the room.

Kimberly inspected the shelves, almost as though she was at a grocery store...

As time slowly ticked by, I found myself sitting on the couch, staring up at the ceiling, taking note of every time the light would flicker.

Kimberly paced around the room, attempting to pop her knuckles for, like, the millionth time...

That carried on for what felt like a life time... Until she suddenly stopped, turning to face me. "Alright, there has got to be something to do around here."

   I glanced up at her. "Like what?

"I don't know... Something." She said as slid down the wall to a sitting position on the floor. "I've never been this bored. I feel like I'm losing my fucking mind."

I leaned forward, resting my elbows on my knees. "I know... But, we already drank all the booze, I've heard just about as many childhood stories as I can stand, and there isn't a TV in here."

She looked up at me. "No board games? Cards? Anything?"

I stood up. "I'm not sure, let's take a look."

So, we searched the whole room from top to bottom, then double checked it.

Just when we were about to lose hope, I found a deck of cards hiding underneath the stove.