16. Split-lip. (and LMD backstory)

Dedicated to JaneReaction. Honestly darlin' if you didn't read this scene and tell me I HAD TO write more, this book wouldn't even be a thing. Love, Mumma R.

*Author's Note: This chapter has the first, very subtle, glimpse into Jon's inner struggle with his sexuality. For those of you who've had a peek into Jon's world in uni, in the 'For Us' project, you know there's a ton going on for him that I left between the lines, and maybe you wish it was more obvious. There's a story behind that reserve on my part, and I'll share it at the end of this section.*

{Jon}

Jon held back the mountain of notes and handouts in the cavity of his locker with one hand, digging for the tech script for the one-act play he was supposed to be doing sound for in 10 minutes. His rooting fingers found the black duotang. "Ha—found you," he said.

He checked up the hallway to see if anyone had noticed the Grade 10 kid talking to himself. It happened more than he liked to admit—since Cary had switched schools, there wasn't exactly a crowd of people for Jon to talk to. He went from class to class alone, ate lunch alone and rode the bus home alone. He had signed up for One Acts out of sheer desperation—at least now the theatre kids said hi to him when they passed him in the halls.

Unfortunately, the hallway was not clear of students. A guy and a girl were snuggling on the bench by the vending machine at the end of the hall. Jon recognized Kadee's throaty laugh and her slim, pale knees above her knee socks. He put his eyes back into his locker, a blush rising in his cheeks.

For some reason, Kadee had stopped talking to him the week after Cary had gotten lost and then found again. For the thousandth time, he thought of and shoved away the memory of her leaning into him over the table in the doughnut shop. Honestly, some days he thought he had just dreamed that kiss—the soft pressure of her mouth and the taste of icing sugar on her lips. Hallucinating one amazing thing during the hazy nightmare of that day made as much sense to him as the idea that Kadee would actually like someone like him.

A few weeks ago, she had started going out with Kurtis, a guy so much taller and older and cooler than Jon that it made sense for Kadee to be with him. At least, that's what Jon told himself this as he passed the make-out session in progress, trying not notice Kurtis' hand wrapped around her waist and the little noises they made with their mouths open, his face burning. He had hoped that his friendship with Kadee was the start of... something more. Obviously it was one more thing in his life that he'd gotten wrong.

///

When he got home from practice, he dropped his book bag in the entryway. "Hi! I'm home!"

The house smelled fantastic, like garlic and tomatoes, and the radio in the kitchen was practically hopping on the counter with a driving punk beat. His mother hated punk music.

"Hey ... Cary?"

His friend appeared in the entrance to the kitchen, his fist full of cutlery and a dish towel slung over his shoulder. "Hey, Jon?" he returned. His eyebrows were lifted and his mouth was relaxed—as good as a smile on him.

Jon's forehead wrinkled. "Where's my mom?"

Cary shrugged. He returned the leftover cutlery to the drawer and lifted the lid of the saucepan on the stove. The smell of garlic intensified.

"Well, where's Dad?"

"At the church," Cary said.

"He left you in charge of supper and looking after the girls?"

Cary gave him an unreadable look. "No. The girls have soccer. This is for when they get back."

"Oh. Sorry. I had play practice. I didn't think you would be stuck with supper."