Ch. 5 Peanut Butter Apples

"What do you want?"

"What do you have?"

Katsuki glares through the fridge, examining the forgotten leftovers pushed to the back, the miscellaneous condiments in the door and the newly stocked raw meat, fruits and veggies. He just went shopping but he feels as though he doesn't have anything that Maimie would like. What do little girls like? Candy? He doesn't have any sweets, he doesn't like the way the sugar coats his tongue and sticks to his teeth. Plus, he never really liked anything sweet to begin with.

Should he make her something? What has she eaten all day? A quick and easy recipe for an omelet came to mind. He has all the ingredients, eggs, bell peppers, cheese, and he can cut cubes of ham if she wants. However, will she have dinner with her dad when he comes back? It's still early afternoon.

He turns his scowl from the fridge to Maimie. The girl is sitting in one of the tall stools at the kitchen island, taking in her surroundings. Right now, she's eyeing a framed picture of his four friends being idiots in royal blue caps and gowns hanging beside the fridge. All four are standing in a line, hanging off of each other, faces flushed and shoulders hunched over with laughter.

"How hungry are you?"

She jumps, snapping her attention to him, and if she'd been startled it doesn't show in her tone as she symply answers: "Hungry."

He suppresses the urge to grind his teeth and reminds himself that she's just a child and isn't trying to annoy him. For all he knows, maybe she is scared. Maybe she regretted her choice to trust him the moment she stepped through the door and is now afraid to speak up and ask to go back downstairs. However, as strong as that worry makes his palms sweat, he knows that isn't the case. The moment she walked in, she dropped her backpack at the door (which is wide open if the girl suddenly decides she is uncomfortable and wants to leave) and he can hear her feet tapping against the stool as they swing back and forth. She isn't ridged with concern for her safety, the atmosphere is just awkward. At least for Katsuki. He doesn't have a clue how the girl views the whole situation. Her face is calm and her owl eyes are full of curiosity.

He sighs, standing straighter. "Come on, you gotta have somethin' in mind."

Maimie's eyes drift down to the bunny in her hands and she stared into it's one good eye, eyebrows dipping as if the rabbit had just insulted her. However, the next moment, her lips pull into a soft smile that dimples her right cheek. Katsuki never knew a simple smile could look so angelic, so pure and innocent with childish wonder. He ponders on what she'd look like if her smile stretched and curled over her teeth, what her laugh sounded like.

"Mom used to cut up apples and give me one of those small peanut butter thingies you put in your lunch so I could dip my apples in it."

Without a second thought, Katsuki returns to the fridge to retrieve a crisp red apple, then quickly pulls out a cutting board and chef's knife. While he slices the apple, he quotes, "Used to?"

He glances up, only meaning to see what she might be doing now, but he immediately wishes he could suck words back into his lungs and make the person who heard them forget it was ever said. This isn't the first time he's wished this, however it was suddenly his deepest desire when the soft smile on the girl's face falls and her wonder filled eyes gloom over.

The silence between them makes the previous awkwardness turn heavy and with every passing second Katsuki's metaphorical backpack fills with one brick at a time but the weight is all too real. The knife in his hand feels heavier and an image of himself cutting off his own tongue flashes across his eyes.

When will he fucking learn that his words can hurt?

"Just tell me to fuck off if it's too-"

"Mom had to leave," Maimie interrupted. Her tone is startlingly stirn for how quiet and soft spoken she is, it throws Katsuki off - but only for a moment. Maimie continues without giving Katsuki a chance to fully process her words. "Dad said she needed to go somewhere - I forget where, I don't think he ever said, actually - but she isn't coming back for a long time."