•One•

Thank you CrimsonLeafeon (Lee) for the pretty cover~!

•••

I watched as my one and only friend, Pichu, got carried away by Hardy, one of the pound's workers. I watched as she gave me a weak little wave, with a tear that came a few seconds later, almost as an afterthought. I frantically waved back, smiling wide, trying to look happy for her sake.

But in truth, I was dismayed. I felt broken. I felt betrayed. Once again, I felt alone. It was always like this, for about seven months now. I stopped counting after the third.

The lights flickered off.

Once I couldn't see Pichu and Hardy anymore I sat down and hung my head. "Always, always.... It never changes," I muttered, trying to fight back the tears that were threatening to flow down. I was supposed to be used to this, wasn't I? Why do I feel this way whenever someone gets adopted by a Trainer?

"Because you're nothing but a big crybaby." The unmistakable voice of Medicham cuts through my thoughts. I cringed in response. She was here again.

"No, he isn't." Now Aggron had entered the room as well. "He's just a small crybaby. Look at the size of him... Isn't he just cute?" Both Aggron and Medicham laughed meanly, a sound that inflicted pain to my already-weakened heart. I didn't move, refusing to let them see that I felt hurt by what they said.

Suddenly, my cage started shaking. I dropped down on all fours, trying to steady myself, but of course it was impossible. Not when Aggron's the one shaking the cage.

"Do you know how rude it is to ignore the bosses around here?" Aggron's tone was snooty and aggressive--the two traits that perfectly described his personality. I didn't answer and instead tried to make myself comfortable to the shaking.

Soon Aggron got tired and moved on to Minccino in the corner, who was trembling with fright rather than anticipation. Around me, Pokémon were shaking in their cages, afraid of what the twosome might do to them.

They were shaking with fright because they were just new. Unlike me, they were just new. Unlike them, I was a young Lillipup whose life revolved inside this very room. I had been put in here along with my mother, a strong Herdier whose aura shone with kindness and compassion. I'd been an innocent young pup before, but when they came to take my mother, I began to realize just what happens if you stay in here too long.

I dropped down on all fours and tried to lull myself to sleep, like I always do. I've learned and mastered the art of tricking the mind and soul, and it's the technique that I use whenever a slight feeling of depression starts to kick in. I know of two Pokémon who lost their minds after a month of being here: two Eevees, one known as Espeon and the other known as Vaporeon. Their meaningless laughs had scared me to death and made me want to give up because, you know, it's already hard to stay sane in this place, but a whole lot harder when your cage is sandwiched between two cages that hold two already-insane Pokémon.

Cringing, I shook my head and concentrated once more, determined not to let any more thoughts, relaxing or not, disturb me from my sleep.

And this time I succeeded.

This time, I fell asleep.

•••

The sudden flicker of light woke me up. Drowsily opening one eye, and then the other, I'm surprised to see light flooding the room. I looked around my fellow caged Pokémon. They, too, looked stunned, curiosity written on their faces. The room's lights don't usually go on unless something important's going to happen. Usually the room's lit up by oil lamps.

Then suddenly, Hardy came in, followed by Medicham and Aggron. As usual, he wore a red cap on his head, and his facial hair looked as if it hadn't been shaved properly. Almost immediately, all the Pokémon started making a series of noises, excluding me. I'd chosen not to.

Whenever Hardy came in, it meant that one of us was going to be taken away by a Trainer. One of us. The thought made me shudder. No, one of them. Yes, whenever Hardy came in, it meant that one of them was going to be taken away by a Trainer.

One of us was a term I considered as outdated and hopeless. There was no way a Trainer was going to pick me. I was weak and useless. Even Minccino in the corner was better off than me. At least she was cute. Lassies always fancied Mincinnos, that I knew from my mother before she died.

As if to prove my point, Hardy walked towards Minccino's cage, and I could see envy written on the other Pokémon's faces. Houndoom, one of the other caged Pokémon, stole a glance at me. From his expression I knew I'd done a good job on looking unemotional. I always did, especially in front of Hardy, Medicham and Aggron. Displaying such weakness would only make the two bullies overjoyed, and Hardy worried. I knew Hardy was a good man, but he was too ignorant to notice that his Pokémon were two insensitive jerks.

After Minccino was taken away and all the hubbub died down, I settled down once more and tried to fall asleep again, although to no avail.

So I was stuck staring up at the interior of my cage, thinking of nothing.

Waiting for nothing.