11. IT JUST GOT WORSE

Gene was welcomed back to Hogwarts by being tackled with great bear hugs from Harry, Ron and Hermione almost simultaneously. Her eyes widened as she stumbled backwards, her arms pulling them closer anyways, laughing in shock. They hadn't heard her laugh much since before Christmas, so they were glad for it now.

"You're the best, Gene. Did you know that?" Ron said, his cheeks flushed pink as he smiled at her.

"You liked your present then?" she asked, hope lacing her voice as Ron's jaw went slack.

"Liked?" he asked. "I loved it! It's the best present ever." he murmured, the tips of his ears glowing red and Gene smiled, thrilled with herself (and Aurelia.)

"Will you thank your grandmother for me?" Harry said with small smile, and Gene's lips parted in shock.

"Why do you think old Cordelia made it and not me?" she asked, only slightly offended.

"No offence, Gene, but I've seen you knit. It wasn't pretty." he said, a slight furrow in his brow as he recalled last Christmas.

Gene had a tendency to obsess over certain hobbies until she was the absolute best at them. It was sort of like her Achilles heel. One time, she had messed up her knitting pattern so badly that she sent a pair of knitting needles across the room, barely missing Neville's head as they pierced the armchair he sat on. It was safe to say Gene didn't pick up a pair of needles ever again.

"Well, it's no Firebolt, but I'm glad you liked it." Gene smiled, having heard all about the surprise broom that Harry had found under the tree on Christmas Day. They hadn't a clue who had sent it though, and it seemed like a very familiar scenario to all three.

"Did you get a chance to use your telescope yet, Hermione?" Gene turned to her, their arms interlocking as they continued to walk down the corridors to their first lesson of the term back.

"Oh, yes! It's so beautiful, Gene. I've never seen the stars so clearly. Dad was especially keen on it, actually. I had to hide it in my trunk to smuggle it here." Hermione said, causing Gene to laugh as they made their way up the tower to Divination class.

The start of the new term wasn't as smooth as Gene had anticipated it would be, as the class had ended with Hermione storming out, knocking a crystal ball to the ground to Trelawney's dismay.

Ron and Hermione were also not talking, for maybe the fourth time this year, only it felt more permanent this time. Scabbers had disappeared, and with blood and ginger cat hairs left on Ron's bed, he could have only presumed the worst.

"She's gone mental, Hermione has." Ron began as they left the North tower, heading down the spiral staircase. "Not that she wasn't always mental, but now it's in the open for everyone to see."

"Ron." Gene warned, nudging him in the side and he got the message.

"Hang on." Harry stopped abruptly on the stairs, "We better take this back." he picked up the crystal ball that Hermione had dropped defiantly earlier.

"I'm not going back." Ron returned, abashed as he glanced between the two like they'd grown an extra head.

Gene rolled her eyes, "Fine. We'll see you at Hagrid's." she told him.

"See you." Ron looked relieved, as he sped down the stairs and out of the tower.

"Professor Trelawney?" Harry began once they'd entered the classroom, only to find Trelawney pressed up against a crystal ball, muttering under her breath.

"He will return tonight." she murmured, her large eyes only magnified through the ball and it made things eerier.

"Sorry?" Gene asked, glancing at Harry uncertainly.