9. DESTINY

"Where the bloody hell have you been?"

Ron's voice exclaimed from behind Gene and she stopped, shutting her eyes with a wince before she sighed at his footsteps approaching.

She hadn't seen the others in nearly three days, since the trip to Hogsmeade. Somehow, regardless of the life changing news, Gene was still subject to detention for sneaking out. McGonagall gave her the detention with regret, though Gene didn't believe her.

"Detention." Gene returned, crossing her arms over her chest as she looked up at Ron, and she was technically telling the truth.

"I haven't seen you in days. I was w-" he cut himself off, as Gene raised an eyebrow at him now, "We were worried sick- "

"I'm fine." Gene cut him off, though she assured him with a small nod. If she thought about it again, she wouldn't be able to stop herself.

"Well, alright." he said with uncertainty, "You must still be thinking about what we heard the other day and well- I just hope you know that you shouldn't be running off and doing anything silly." he said, and his sudden responsibleness had lead to Gene raising an eyebrow.

"Like what?" she asked.

"Like-" he leant in closer, "going after Black." she tensed at his name.

"Believe you me, Ron, I don't want to see him anymore than you guys." she frowned in return. "Come on," she offered him a tired smile as he began to lead her through the corridors and out to find the others, making their way across Hogwarts' grounds, hoping to catch Hagrid.

Gene remembered the trial to decide the fate of  Buckbeak was today. Judging from Hagrid's behaviour, it didn't go so well and Gene's guess was correct- Buckbeak had been sentenced to death. Her heart grew heavy for the beautiful Hippogriff and Hagrid himself. She knew how much he meant to him. They planned on doing some research on past trials to help Hagrid for the big one in London, Gene hoping to use this as a distraction.

In another attempt to distract herself that night, Gene stayed up in bed with the Marauders Map she had kept in her bedside table, using her wand to shed some light as she watched Filch stalk the corridors. It gave her some form of amusement, as she opened her mouth a little wider for a floating biscuit to land.

As Gene glanced over the sections of Hogwarts, she had to do a double-take at the name she saw, the biscuit falling from her mouth and into her lap. Peter Pettigrew was walking their halls, right this very moment.

It can't have been. Gene had no choice but to scramble out of bed, sneaking out as quietly as possible, map in hand as she made her way to the Gryffindor dorms. She made a habit of convincing Neville to tell her the password for each fortnight, just in case of an emergency. To her luck, he liked Gene and was somewhat of a pushover so he did as told.

"Oddsbodikins." Gene whispered, lowering her wand so her face was hidden from Sir Cadogan's view. He muttered some choice words at being woken up, though she ignored him.

Gene crept inside the common room, making her way toward the spiral staircase that led to the boys' dormitories. Thankfully, there was no spell on the stairs to the boys' dorms like there was on the girls' stairs. The founders of Hogwarts had made her job that night, that much easier.

She knocked gently at first, before waiting a few moments, only to be met with silence. Gene rolled her eyes and began to knock more incessantly, until the door finally swung open, revealing a half-asleep Harry, rubbing his eyes tiredly.

"What are you doing here?" Harry's eyes widened slightly at the sight of Gene, glancing over his shoulder at a sleeping Ron.

"Come on." she grasped the sleeve of his hoodie, tugging him along with her as they left Gryffindor tower.