What's Right and What's Wrong?

Quackity starts to regret the smug grins.

      Or, we see the jokester regret being the villain after he fails to make someone laugh.

Various lights twinkled over the last few remains of the walls of L'Manburg. Quackity stared at them, feeling a blanket of sadness settle over him as he stood, thinking. Everything had changed so fast.

Was this the right thing to do?

Quackity wasn't so sure anymore. He wasn't really sure of anything right now. It had seemed like such a good idea.. a week ago? A few days ago? It had just happened yesterday, but it felt like it had been years. Quackity had never felt so tired. Tired of being ignored, and being put down. Tired of being used over and over again.

This is what you wanted, right?

Quackity sighed, rubbing his arm as he continued to stare at his nation, spacing out. No, not his nation. Schlatt's nation. He was the Vice President. But was he even that anymore?

"Hey, you doing ok?"

George stepped beside him, placing his hand on his shoulder in concern. Quackity looked away quickly in guilt. "Y-Yeah, just thinking."

They stood with each other for a moment, both staring in silence. Quackity knew George was disappointed with him, even though he didn't say anything. He was disappointed in himself.

"George."

Quackity broke the silence, keeping his eyes trained on the ruined walls. He couldn't dare look George in the eye.

"Yeah?"

"Do you think- do you think we did the right thing? Helping Schlatt win?"

"Well, this is what we wanted, right? The walls being torn down." Quackity looked over to George, noticing his brown eyes fill with sadness.

"So-so we can be one big happy family."

George's words held no enthusiasm. He tried to convince himself that they had done it, they had won. He tried to convince himself that they were changing the country for the better, the new purpose he had devoted himself to after the Dream SMP slowly faded into dust.

But not like this. Not like this.

"But- but don't you think Schlatt is taking it a bit- far?" Quackity rubbed his arm nervously, glancing around to see if anyone had heard him. He knew that he was being a bit paranoid, but he just couldn't push away the feeling that Schlatt had ears everywhere. He couldn't even think without fearing Schlatt. He dropped his voice even lower. "Don't- don't you think he's going a bit-"

"Crazy?" George chuckled sadly. "I guess."

"Power does that to some people."

Trust me, I know.

Quackity noticed the familiar faraway look in George's eyes. He placed a comforting hand on George's small shoulder gingerly, afraid that he would push him away. But George simply sighed, looking down.

"Have you- have you gotten anything back yet?"

George didn't respond, making Quackity nervous that he had overstepped. He had no right to ask George personal questions after he couldn't even stand up for him in front of Schlatt. But George eventually shook his head slowly.

"No." His voice cracked, the sadness that he had felt for the past few weeks shining through. "No texts, no calls, no nothing." He cleared his throat, his voice dropping to a whisper.

"He didn't even say I love you when he left."

Quackity looked down, his hand still on George's shoulder. He knew that this was slowly breaking him inside, although he didn't admit it. He wanted to comfort him, but he couldn't find anything to say.

"I-I'm sorry, George."

"It-it's fine!" George tried to force a smile on, turning away to wipe his eyes with the palm of his hand. "We better go back down there. Things to do, walls to tear down, changes to be made! I-I can't wallow in self-pity forever."

Quackity watched sadly as George started to head down the steps of L'Manburg. He knew he wasn't fine.

"George!"

He turned back for a second, tilting his head in confusion. Quackity gulped nervously.

"I-I'm sorry for everything back there. I should have stood up for you. What Schlatt did-"

"It's fine. I didn't- I didn't expect you to." George turned away, sighing. "Let's just go."

Quackity was frozen as George walked away, arm still reaching out to him. What was he thinking? No matter what he did now, it didn't change the fact that he wasn't there for George at one of his darkest moments.

Sorry isn't enough.