welcome to the wrong perspective

Being a woman is hard. You know? 

It's hard to live in a world that only sees things from a male perspective. It's exhausting actually. I go to my university during the day, dance rehearsals from time to time, have an hour's load of homework waiting for me, and work from my store on the weekends, and yet I still find time to worry about what a man will "do to me" if I don't look behind my back or keep one AirPod in at all times. I just want to be able to live my life, from a female's perspective. 

I walk down this street every day to go to school, and everyday there's a new man with the same scary approach. Living in New York City is all peaches and cream on the outside, but the inside is kind of terrifying

"Hey darling, smile more," I clenched my grip on the pepper spray in my bag. 

"Can I have your number?" 

"Why so serious, girl?" 

Would it really be all that bad if we got rid of all the men like this in the world? Honestly? Think about it. I think we would all benefit from it. 

Nevertheless, I made it into the building. Thank God. Im getting a masters degree in marketing at a small Liberal arts college in the heart of Manhattan. I know what you're thinking, why would I get a degree in marketing at a liberal arts college? It's beneficial, actually. I want to market the arts, so this gives me the experience to work and be around an environment I love. And it's a good place for my dance lessons during the week. 

I pushed the door forward and walked down the hallway to my first class. I always admired the interior design of this place, I mean finally! A liberal arts school that reflects the work of their students. It was truly inspiring. A few of my classmates waved at me and smiled along their journey. 

"Hey, Marina!" I turned around and saw my good friend, Rashaad. He jogged towards me and handed me a flyer.

"The city is hosting a gender equality march tomorrow at noon. It's in Columbus circle. You should join us! A group of my friends from home are accompanying me." He explained, excitedly. The flyer was in pastel yellow and spelt "EQUALITY" in magazine cut out letters. 

"I'll check it out. Do you still have my number from class last semester?" I took out my phone and held it in the air. 

"I think I do." Rashaad reached into his back pocket and took out his phone. He gave my phone a second glare before searching for my contact information.

"Nice case. Green is my favorite color." His smile reached the corners of his face. 

"Thanks, it's biodegradable," I said. I always try to chime that part in there as much as I can. Rashaad finished searching and showed me my contact information on his phone. 

"Is this still correct?" He asked.

I squinted at the phone screen and said, "Yep, that's still me. Text me later tonight!" I gave him a small grin and waved goodbye. 

"See you then!" He announced. Rashaad began to tape his remaining flyers on the walls. 

 I walked down the hallway and made it to the next corridor. I immediately found my body against the glass wall as I stepped through the doors. 

"Shoot, are you- are you okay?" A voice behind me bursted out. 

"I really didn't mean too!" He continued.

I felt the tingle from the hit move through my fingers as I graced over my pepper spray in my bag. It was only a matter of seconds before the migraine came in. I turned around and met the face of an innocent skinny white boy. Ah yes- the typical kind, but they're not always as innocent. I placed my other hand on my head. 

"What is your problem?" I tightened my grip on the pepper spray. 

"Nothing- no problem here. It was a mistake! I was looking down at my phone and caught myself before I ... slammed into the wall." He said, faintly.

"Oh, so you were almost going to hit the wall, and you thought it was a good idea to push the first person you see in that direction?" I exclaimed. Is he serious right now? People were starting to stare.

"It was just a reflex." The man put his arms towards me and shook his head. I slid across the wall and out of his way.

"And did you just try to touch me? Please leave before I call campus security." I hugged my bag under my arm and started to speed walk. He followed, nervously in the same direction. My voice was practically running out the door with the rest of my body. I received confused looks all around the hallway.

I turned around and said, "in the other direction!"

He froze and clenched his fist. Another one of those "great" reflexes I suppose.

"I'm heading in the same direction." He said. I didn't stop walking.

"Well, could you find another way to get there? You're really making me uncomfortable here." I projected before turning around again and continuing into my classroom door. I watched him turn around in the opposite direction and run down the hallway through the glass. I turned to my professor who was working on the projector.  She noticed the scared expression on my face.

"Marina, are you okay? Your face is bright red." My professor, Laura, rushed over to my side and crossed her arms.

"I'm fine, Laura. I'm not sure if you noticed what was going on outside, but this man pushed me against the wall and tried to reach out at me after. I always assume the worse, but that was very strange." I said, in between breaths. My migraine felt like it was practically popping out of me. 

"I didn't see anything, I'm sorry. The city has really been a hot point with this lately, huh? I can't even get into my car without worrying about someone following me. It's really unfortunate for us ladies." She explained. It was really unfortunate. 

"I know." I sighed and reached into my bag, searching for my bottle of Advil. I took it out and shook it in between my fingers. Of course, empty. 

"Do you happen to have some Advil, Laura? That hit to the wall gave me a very unwanted migraine." I asked, putting a hand on my head.

She smiled and reached into her desk draw. "If it feels anything like a period migraine, I understand you." Laura handed two advils over to me and I closed them in my fist. I mouthed a "thank you," and proceeded to my desk. I slumped down into my chair and took a deep awaited breath.

A classmate hurriedly walked into the room and sat in the seat next to mine. "I saw what happened out there, I hope you're alright. Do you know who that was?" She commented.

I swallowed the advils down with water and rubbed my temples. "No," I responded.

"That's unfortunate. He was really cute." She added, and began to take her laptop out from her bag. 

What did I tell you? Still living in the male perspective.