expelled.

Expelled

The words rang in my ear like an annoying alarm that just wouldn't shut off. 

"Marina, we have you on camera. You broke into the school after hours. I'm sorry, but there's not much we can do anymore," the director of the marketing department accused, making each part of my heart break slowly.

"I was the one who broke the door open, sir. You shouldn't blame Marina for something that wasn't entirely her fault!" Ross chimed in. The director furrowed his dark eyebrows and wiggled his mustache. "You don't even know the full story!" 

The director crossed his arms and said, "You were reaching into your wallet to give change to a homeless man on the street. Marina, as a woman, you should know better." I tried to take a step forward but my feet felt like they were glued to my stance. I should have know better? 

"Sir- that is completely unfair," Ross insisted, taking a step forward and standing my ground for me. The director threw his hands in the air and rolled his dark eyes at us.

"Do you have anything to say for yourself, Ms. Campos?" He demanded. I felt the tips of my fingers beginning to shake. I opened my mouth to say something and completely shut it afterwards. 

"The man stole her wallet and broke into the school first. If anything this place should have better security and someone at watch at all times," Ross continued. He walked over to the brown desk standing in between us and the director, and slammed his hands down, aggressively. 

The director continued to degrade my presence and insisted with his hands, signaling an "I'm waiting" call. 

I felt uncertain about what I was going to say, but I forced myself to say it anyway. I took a deep breath and answered, "I did know better. I told Ross," I peaked my head towards him, "that the man could be setting this up as a distraction. I did what I was supposed to do as a woman, I was looking out for my surroundings, and the man still took advantage of our situation and stole my wallet. I understand if you have to expel me, but I do not appreciate you putting all of this on me, and using my womanhood against me." 

Crickets. Ross raised his eyebrows and glared over at me. The director nodded his head and looked elsewhere. 

"We're sad to see you go, Ms. Campos," he added, picking up what I assumed was my expulsion papers on his desk. He handed them over to me and directed his head towards the door, waiting for our dismissal. Ross placed his arm around my shoulder and I felt the coldness radiate off his leather jacket. 

He turned his head back and yelled, "Marina won't need your degree anyway. She'll be my publicist." He pulled my body in closer and we walked out of the door together. We heard the director slam the door shut behind us, sending goosebumps through my arms. All I wanted to do in this moment was to go home, drown myself in sad music, and wake up tomorrow finally one day ahead. All it takes is a day. 

A few hours later we were back in my apartment, with Rashaad and Nathan as well. I picked up my phone and walked over to the only room in this tiny space, the bathroom. I slid my finger up the screen and searched through my contacts. I pressed down on my mother's contact and called her. My mother was very understanding and loving, fortunately. I knew she would understand the situation but still be upset about the outcome. 

"Hello?" Her sweet Spanish accent called out. 

"Hi, mami," I said, trying to pull it together. "I have to tell you something." 

She was silent for a few seconds before sayin, "what is it?," in Spanish. 

I lightly banged my fist along the sink and sat down on the toilet.