Chapter 1 : The Last War

Clarke watches Madi as she glows and transcends into the sky. Alone. Clarke is left completely alone.
She's the last of the human race. Loneliness consumes her.

All of the people she has killed. All for the people she loved. Everything she has done to survive, for what? Just to end with her rotting alone?

She shook the thought off. She walks out of mcap and into the dark hallway on Bardo. Her eyes cloud as she glances at all the bodies. Her heart drops.
She longs to see Madi, Bellamy, and all of her other friends. Clarke wipes a lingering tear from her cheek.

Having trouble finding a reason to stay on Bardo, Clarke wanders towards the stone, punches in the 9 symbol code, and enters the anomaly back to Sanctum.

Forever is a long time. A long time Clarke did not wish to spend alone. Everything she did, she did to save those she loved. Clarke dries her face as she calls out to anyone who may listen,

"Hello?"

"Hello?"

"Please, I don't want to be alone."

Clarkes head falls as she is filled with despair. Her thoughts consume her. She killed her best friend, she murdered thousands of innocent people, and she almost doomed humanity.

But, the worst of it all is that she never got to say goodbye. She never got to thank her friends who fought by her side. She never got to tell them she loved them. She truly hoped they knew.

Emotions sweep over her like a rushing wave. She screams out in pure defeat, cursing the person she has become and the decisions she has made. Her thoughts are suddenly interrupted by barking. Seconds later a dog comes barreling towards her. Picasso.

"Here boy!" Clarke gasps in relief as she takes Picasso's collar and leads him to the anomaly. Clarke then enters 9 more symbols into the stone and takes Piacosso back to earth.

Almost immediately after she steps onto earth, her muddy boot barely touching the dirt, Picasso bolts  into the woods. Clarke starts sprinting after him screaming,

"Picasso?"

"Picasso!"

"Please, I don't want to be alone."

Picasso is nowhere to be seen. As Clarke clears the woods, she sees a human figure beside the river bank. It can't actually be her, right? Lexa?

As Lexa approaches her, Clarke almost immediately realizes it is the celestial judge taking the form of Lexa. Clarke's excitement quickly evaporates.

"What do you want?" Clarke snaps as she turns and walks away.

"To explain."Lexa calmly announces trying to catch up to Clarke.

Clarke turns to her and spits, "No need, I get it, I bear it so they don't have too."

"Such a curious species, you humans. I'm glad to have been wrong about you," Lexa continues robotically.

"Wait, does that mean I can come with you?" Clarke  interrupts. Her eyes widen, filled with hope.

Lexa provides an emotionless reply, "No, you could never join us Clarke." Lexa stops in her tracks to face Clarke as she speaks, "You failed the test, you almost doomed the human race."

"So that's it? I spend the rest of my life alone, paying for some stupid test given to me by a species who believes they're superior?" Clarke responds in defeat.

"Transcendence is desired, it isn't mandatory." Lexa continues, unbothered by Clarke's insult, "We are merely the immortals who decide what species are worthy of transcendence. You yourself have proven you are not ready for transcendence. You being left behind is not a condemnation, but a restart."

"Wait. You can choose not to transcend?" Clarke asks in confusion.

"Of course." Lexa replies calmly, "Although until now, no one ever had."

Clarke stares up at Lexa in confusion. Clarke hears laughter in the distance as she whips her head towards the joyful noise. Behind a few trees she can see her friends working on a demolished village.

"Our species has decided to give you a fresh start," Lexa begins. "None of you left on earth will transcend when you die. However, future generations of yours may retake the test in a few thousand years. They will determine if the rest of the human race is ready to join us in transcendence."

Clarke stares out into the distance in disbelief. She turns around to thank Lexa, but she has already disappeared.

Octavia is the first to catch Clarke's eye.

"Octavia!" Clarke cries running towards her long lost friend.

"CLARKE IS BACK!" Octavia screams at the others as she sprints towards her.

Murphy, Emori, Raven, Miller, Jordan, Hope, Levitt, and Indra follow right behind her smiling ear to ear.

Clarke and Octavia hug first. Quick, short embraces with Murphy, Raven and Emori follow.

"What are you guys doing here?" Clarke smiles with uncontainable joy.

"Did you really think we were going to leave you here alone?" Raven questioned. "Our goal was to survive, not to transcend."

Murphy cuts in "Yeah, living forever is boring anyways."

"I second that," Emori coos at Murphy.

"Hell yeah!" Octavia yells, "We are back BITCHES!"

Clarke laughs, her heart full.

"Clarke?" a voice murmurs.

"Madi?" Clarke spits out, recognizing the voice immediately.

Madi pushes her way through the small crowd of people and jumps into Clarke's open arms.

"I love you!" Madi whispers, choked up with tears.

"I love you too, my girl," Clarke breathes in her ear.

Madi breaks away from the warm embrace. Tugging on Clarke's arm, she pulls her away from everyone else.

"Come with me!" Madi commands, moving Clarke forward.

"Um...oka-" Clarke stutters and looks at Octavia in confusion. Octavia just smiles and motions for her to go.

Clarke and Madi rush to a clearing behind the destroyed village. In front of a great mountain, an old cottage stands between two great pine trees. Madi pulls Clarke up the porch steps to the door.

"Madi, tell me where we are going this instant!" Clarke demands, fed up with the secrecy.

"You'll see," Maddy teases as she pushes Clarke through the door.

"Madi! What is th-" Clarke freezes. Her eyes focus on who is in front of her...

It's him.