Chapter Twenty "Just Under The Upper Hand"

Angel stared down the very individual he had been trying to avoid, his startled physique stiff in fear. The rigidity of his stance was that of glass; a single blow, and he'd most likely crumble to pieces. Valentino held his fugitive employee's gaze captive, his villainous grin sending Angel's heart plummeting to the concrete beneath him. 

The pornstar hated that smile. That appalling grin only served as a frightening premonition of the tortures about to come his way. With an ominous gesturing wave of his hand, Val demanded Angel approach the limo. Despite Angel's apprehensiveness, it was as if his legs moved on pure muscle memory, obediently doing as he was told. Although complying to the order, the found spider was careful not to step too close to the open window, wary of the minimal distance in case Val decided to reach out and grab him.

Satan forbid, if Val wanted to drag him by his neck into his gaudy limo and whisk him off to who-knows-where, there was nothing he could do to stop it. Alastor was still in that bakery, most likely unaware of the altercation unfolding out front; Angel wasn't, by any means, strong enough to fend off the powerful overlord himself. Not like he'd have the guts to stand against him in the first place

"I've been looking for you, baby." His voice was dastardly smooth, striking that much more dread into Angel's heart, "you've blown off a lot of your work."

"I-I've been meanin' ta'-"

"To what? Test my patience?" His suave tenor dropped threateningly, "make a fool out of me and my kindness? Are you trying to weasel out of paying your dues?"

"N-No I don't wanna' cause ya' any trouble, I-" In a desperate fumbling to explain himself, Angel had momentarily forgotten to maintain the distance between himself and the vehicle. The overlord seized the opportunity. In a flash of movement, a clawed, purple hand shot out of the window, hooking into the spider's jacket collar, and yanking him forward.

With a surprised yelp, Angel, in a fit of panic, dropped the bags to the pavement, bracing his hands on the side of the limousine to prevent himself from being pulled all the way in through the open window. Val, however, seemed to have no intention to sweep him into the confines of the car, instead just bringing him close.

"Really? Then explain to me why you've also snatched up one of my up-and-comers." It only took Angel a moment to understand just what his pimp was talking about, before his affrighted gaze tautened in recognition. He averted his eyes.

"D-Dezi?" Those magenta eyes narrowed menacingly at the spider's vague concession.

"You've got a lot'ta guts to go against me after all I've done for you." A second hand emerged from the window, clasping Angel's cheeks in his strong grip. Angel found himself forced to look the fearsome being dead in the face, jagged, curved fangs gnashing up close in Angel's vision. Warm, wet breath blanketed the arachnid's face with every vile, spoken word, "you're wasting your time, my time, on some stupid fuckin' pipe-dream. I outta teach you a lesson right here, right now." Angel's heart drummed in his chest at the threat.

The clench on his face tightened, the pressure enacting a dull throb of pain for the trapped spider. Angel grunted slightly, two of his hands coming up to tug timidly at the large hand grasping him so tightly, trying to relieve some of the crushing strain. He glanced around, seeing other demons stopping to watch the quarrel unfold; no one coming to his aid; no one bothering to help him. Alastor was still nowhere to be seen; he was left to his own devices. So, he did the only thing he knew to do.

"I-I'm sorry, Daddy. I'll do whateva' ya' want, I swear." Angel muttered submissively in a desperate bid to save himself from whatever punishment he was in for; in a hopeless attempt to get him to let him go.