Chapter Twenty-Two "Wild Hearts"

Warning: Homophobic content

        Hello readers,

    Wow, over 2,000 reads now! I thank you all for your loyal patronage, and for your patience with the slowing updates. Do not fret, I have a clear path for how I intend to take this story through to the end, but, as I continue to read, and learn, and grow in my writing style, I take a considerable amount of time to revise and rewrite in order to improve myself. I certainly hope my efforts are not in vain. Again, thank you, and please, enjoy.

        - Your friendly neighborhood sinner

The lighting in the packed bar around the solitary brunette was dim. Bouncing music from the playing jazz band danced through the air. Allen sat alone at the bar counter, waiting for his companion's return from the bathroom. The clatter of a bustling New Orleans restaurant echoed in heavy footfalls above them, its occupants unaware of the illicit establishment beneath their shoes. Allen never in his young life thought that he'd one day find himself in an underground gay bar.

With it being his last day before he needed to return home, Anthony insisted they spend a night out on the town together in celebration, making easy work of finding the secretive location. The next time Anthony would return, it would be permanent; a fitting reason for joviality indeed, but even so, he had his reservations about partaking in this particular form of jubilee. Allen found himself unable to refuse when Anthony relayed his excitement, enthused about the opportunity to dress up in a way he rarely had the chance to, even though the speakeasy scene was far from his idyllic place to spend an evening.

Allen glanced about the underground club, a bit on edge with his randy surroundings. Being in a place such as this would very well tarnish his good reputation, but luckily for the rising star, everyone else around him was just as concerned with keeping their activities secret as he. No one would speak of anything that happened here to the outside world. Here they were safe to be themselves, free of persecution.

He felt a presence sitting beside him and turned, expecting to see his lover returning from the bathroom, but no. Astonishment arose to see a stranger planting himself in the seat right next to him, leaning in closer. His rugged features bore an intimidating intensity, harsh green eyes locking Allen's stare in place.

"Haven't seen you around the scene before..." He cooed, "you're looking a little tense, not used to this kind of place?"

"I can't say that I am, my good man." Allen broke away from the gaze, looking at the bar in front of him, "my companion insisted I experience this kind of environment, so the least I could do was offer a try." The brunette drummed his fingers against the bar counter to alleviate some of his tension, his eyes tracing every repetitive movement.

"Well, if you ever need to find your way around here, I'd be happy to help, babe." Allen felt his back tense at the offending offer. He looked back up at the coy gentleman, a sickening taste rising in the back of his throat. Far unlike the times Anthony referred to him with that doating pet name, the sweet comfort he usually felt turned to an impending dread. He needed to act and end this quickly.

"I beg your pardon, sir, but I'm spoken for." Allen protested. Despite his polite smile, his discomfort was painfully clear in the furrow of his brow, though the man remained unbothered.

"C'mon, baby, lemme just buy you a drink, no harm done." He pushed on with a flirty purr. Allen jolted as the forward stranger's hand came up and coasted his thigh. His nervous heartbeat ravaged his chest, the impending throes of panic starting to send his composure into upheaval. Allen slipped a hand into his pocket, fingering a switchblade he carried on his person at all times. If this gentleman dared make any further advancements, he'd certainly wouldn't live to regret it. Allen couldn't possibly care about his public surroundings, the severity of his anxiety starting to cloud his judgement.