Bucky Barnes: soldier, assassin and model

"Do I really have to do this?" Bucky screwed his face up in the sunlight. I lowered my new camera, a gift from Mama, from my face and raised an eyebrow.

"Yes, you do. Now please do what I ask." He poked his tongue out but followed my instructions, sitting back against the rock, the golden hour light making his face glow.

I had, with some help from Steve, managed to convince Bucky model for me while I tested out my new camera, and while he was being stubborn and grumpy, I could tell it was a nice change. It had taken mere weeks for Shuri to remove whatever had been in Bucky's mind, left over from HYDRA, and he now lived in a small hut on the borders of the River Tribe. As I turned my head, I could see small hands and heads peering out from the tall grass, curious, watchful. The village children from nearby were fascinated with Bucky, and often followed him about as he fed his goats and even helped him when his lack of two working arms made things difficult.

At least, that's what he tells me.

"Ok, now turn your face slightly to the right, just a smidge," I pointed at him while I spoke, and although he looked at me with a sour expression he complied.

"Why didn't you get Steve to do this? He'll do whatever you say." Bucky closed his eyes in the dying sun and sat motionless while I snapped away.

"I do have him wrapped around my finger, don't I?" I pondered. Bucky chuckled.

"I think we both do," he said lightly. I looked at him. He was beautiful, he really was. Such a tortured soul. The lines on his face were deep, like scars that could never quite fade.

We both had scars that would never fade.

He still looked at me with guilty eyes sometimes. He thought I couldn't see him, looking at my back and shoulders with cheeks burning red and eyes glazing over. And I couldn't deny that sometimes I wondered if those instincts, those hard memories might resurface and he might try and finish what he started.

But then I looked at him, his mouth soft, his shoulders relaxed, and I remember he is a victim, same as I. That he is kind, smart, resourceful. His heart is big, bursting with love to give now that he remembers he has it.

I felt as if I must protect him, keep him safe. He felt to me like a younger brother, a young man whom I don't want to feel any more pain, any more loss.

I smiled at him. He didn't see it but I know he felt it, because he smiled back.

The sun was setting, lying low and dangerous in the sky, a perfect backdrop for such a beautiful figure.

"You look pretty like this." I looked up to see Bucky staring at me, wind in his hair. The tips of my ears turned scarlet, I could feel it.

"Better not let Steve hear you say that," I scolded, putting my camera down and walking over to him, feeling the grass brush against my bare legs. He put his head down, his hair falling over his face.

"I don't mean...I don't mean like that. I mean, after everything that's happened, you're doing something you love and you look happy." He head lifted as I sat down beside him, my arm brushing the stump of his. I looked out at the lilac and orange sky.

"I am happy. I think I'm more happy than I've ever been. And seeing Steve like this, smiling and laughing, it's all I could have asked for."

We stayed like that for a moment. Two friends, both scarred and broken and lost, staring out at the embers of the sky as they faded into stars.

I heard a humming noise, and from out of nowhere a Wakanden ship landed with a bounce in the grass, scattering whatever was left of the nosy village children.

"That's our ride," I said, slipping off the rock, followed by Bucky. He stumbled, still not used to the weight of his arm not being there. The ramp to the ship opened, but just as I was preparing to walk on, someone else jumped out.

"Taly?" I exclaimed, as the small women barrelled into me, hair now dyed a vibrant combination of orange and peach, almost knocking me over. She pulled back, grinning from ear to ear.

"Did you miss me? Of course you did, bro!" She hugged me again, and I only just managed to swing my camera over to Bucky before she crushed it.

"I didn't...why are you here?" I held her at arms length and laughed.

"Shuri flew her in, as a surprise." Steve emerged from the ship too, his lips pressed tight. Taly could be a bit of a handful sometimes. He swung an arm around my waist and kissed my cheek lightly. Taly stepped back and stared at Bucky. He was looking at her too, lips parted like he wanted to say something but wasn't sure what.

"And who is this fine piece of one armed ass?" Taly had one hand on her hip and the other pointed at Bucky, who looked as though he wanted to throw up. He stumbled over words, not knowing what to say. Steve glanced down at me. I sighed.

"Taly, this is Bucky Barnes, Steve's old war buddy," I said with a sweeping gesture. Taly raked her eyes over him. Bucky swallowed nervously. She stepped forward and put her face inches away from his, scrunching up her nose.

"Huh." She went up on her tiptoes for a better look. "You don't look 90 years old. What do you use, like, aloe? Shea butter?"

"Mind control and cryo freezing," Bucky said, having regained some of his confidence after Taly's close inspection.

"Hmmm." Taly stroked an imaginary beard. "You'll have to tell me all about it. Come with me, my dude." She grabbed Bucky's hand and dragged him onto the ramp. He turned back to look at us, and I swear he mouthed 'Help me!' before he disappeared.

Steve chuckled.

"Do you think they'll get along?" He asked as we began to walk up the ramp.

"Oh, perfectly. All Bucky has to do is listen. She'll talk his ears off in no time," I joked.

Steve stopped at the top of the ramp and kissed me. We hadn't seen each other for a few weeks. We had to split up often. Sometimes I was with him and Sam and Natasha, and sometimes I was in Wakanda with my family and Bucky. It wasn't a perfect life, and it wasn't easy, but we managed. It was nice to have him back.

"I've missed you," I said, pulling away. He smiled.

"I've missed you too. So much." He swept me into a hug, my face on his chest as the ramp began to close.

Oh, how much sweeter, simpler, softer things were back then.

Authors Note

Bucky content! I love Bucky so much, love writing him!
And Taly is back! Shes such a cool character, I can't wait to write more of her.

Im very very very busy right now, I'm spending 3 weeks as a student teacher in a school, so lots of work to do! Ill try update when i can, as im also writing a new Harry Potter fic which is exciting news!

Stay groovy, stay safe my lovelies,

~JJ