i love you.

***Dean x RoryPrompt: A quick rewrite of 1x16

***
Dean x Rory
Prompt: A quick rewrite of 1x16. Rory isn't ready to tell Dean she loves him and Dean is more than understanding. In other words, the way this scene SHOULD have gone.

    "Rory?"

    "Yeah?"

    "I love you."

    Rory's heart stopped. Her smile faltered slightly and suddenly her blood was thundering in her ears. Once her heart started back up again, it was going twice the speed it had been going before, so much so that she was surprised her rib cage didn't break. Say something. You have to say something. SAY SOMETHING.

    "Rory?" Dean's voice brought her back to reality and she blinked.

    "Yeah?"

    "Did you hear me?" Dean asked gently, his eyebrows lifting.

    Rory swallowed. "Uh huh."

    Dean frowned. "Hey," he murmured, pushing her hair lightly out of her eyes. "I know this is kind of soon. I didn't mean to catch you off guard, I just...I wanted to say it."

    Rory took a breath, racking her brain for something to say. "I'm sorry, I just - I'm surprised, that's all."

    "Don't be sorry." Dean shook his head. "It's okay. Look, if you're not ready to say it back, it's completely okay. I'm not saying it to hear it back, I just...I wanted you to know." he lifted his eyebrows.

    Rory blinked. "You're not mad?"

    "Of course not," Dean told her with a soft chuckle, combing a gentle hand through her hair. "It's okay. I know it's a big thing. I don't want you to feel pressured, okay? You don't have to do or say anything you don't want to. I just wanted you to hear it."

    Rory paused for a moment before she leaned forward, catching his lips softly in her own. She cupped his cheek in her palm, her thumb smoothing lightly back and forth over his cheekbone.

    Dean kissed her back slowly, his fingers tangling gently into her hair as his chest rose and fell gently against hers.

    When the need for air kicked in, the two broke the kiss and pressed their foreheads together, the only sounds being the soft ones of crickets and their somewhat labored breathing.

    "I don't deserve you," Rory finally spoke, looking up at him with soft eyes. "You're so good to me and I'm..."

    "You are perfect." Dean whispered, his hand resting on her cheek as he lifted his eyebrows. "To me, you are perfect. I mean, Rory, you..." he trailed off as he gazed at her fondly, smiling sweetly. "You deserve the world."

    Rory felt her heart swell and she found herself smiling brightly once again, laying her head back against his chest as her arm draped itself over his waist once more. "Thank you," she whispered, curling her fingers into the fabric of his sweater.

    Dean placed a gentle hand on the back of her head and kissed her forehead, letting his lips linger there. "Of course," he murmured, letting his eyes fall shut. "You're wonderful, Lorelai Gilmore."

    Rory smiled. "No, you." she murmured teasingly, laughing quietly when he lightly pinched her side. She wasn't entirely ready to say it out loud yet, but one thing was for sure; she was falling in love with Dean Forester.