Chapter Four:

*Francis' POV*

The world was spinning. I didn't know how, but I had managed to drive myself to the hospital. I busted through the doors and into the bleak and sterile corridor. I was in a sprint now, making my way through the endless labyrinth of the building. I skidded to a stop as I almost trampled Alfred.

"Alfred." I stated, out of breath. "How is he? Is he stable? Do they think that he's going to make it?"

"Yes Francis..." The boy replied monotonously. "He's stable."

I breathed a sigh of relief.

"Francis..." Alfred added sadly. "There's something else you should know..."

"Eh?" I asked, confused. "What's that?"
I looked at the boy to see that he was on the verge of tears.

"He didn't know who I was."

I felt my heart stop beating. I forgot to breathe...suddenly my knees seemed to have lost their ability to function. I placed my hands on the walls to keep from falling.

"What do you mean he didn't know?" I yelled emotionally.

"He forgot Francis....He has amnesia." I didn't even wait to answer, instead pushing past the boy to reach the information desk.

"I'm sorry sir, but visiting hours are closed for today." She remarked with a cheery disposition and a plastic smile. The line sounded rehearsed to death. I loathed it.

"Ten minutes..." I pleaded. "That's all I'll need...please...Just give me the room number of Arthur Kirkland....Please..."

With the help from an unforeseen higher power...the nurse took pity on me.

"Room 114 A...and no longer than ten minutes."

"Merci!" I smiled, stumbling down the hallway to the room.

When I reached it, I nearly tore the doors off of the hinges. Dashing inside, I ran to the bed. I kneeled down next to it and meticulously inspected the boy in it.

His breathing was steady, and the heart monitor was saying that his beats were constant and even.

"Angleterre?" I asked quietly. "Are you awake?" There was silence. I laughed. "Alfred told me that you were..." The only noises to be heard were that of my voice, my breathing, and the beeping of the monitor. "I just want you to be alright...I don't want to see you get hurt...I never even got to tell you how I feel about you..you're more important to me than you know, mon ami." I started to softly cry. I didn't even notice that Arthur was speaking.