001

REWRITING THE SCARS |CHAPTER 1

CHASE AND QUINN sat in silence on the faded blue and white tractor duvet which was sodden in tears. Tonight was the worst day ever for the both of them. Life again, had hit both of them in the chest. At the same time. In the same place, just, differently. The news of each other's sadness piled up for one another as they both equally felt sad for their problems. Two of which was death and abuse.

Chase had the worse day compared to Quinn, but Quinn had the worse life compared to Chase, but they didn't want to compare difficulty to their lives because the amount of pain produced didnt relate to their problems. They were both hurting and there was nothing they could do.

For Chase, it was horror.

His worse nightmare. The thing he hoped would never happen. The thing no one can stop, not even death. While death was the cause, he thought of himself as the reason and blamed himself.

Tay, Chase's only friend was a companion of many sorts, the type of friend to hit you up and act like he never knew you, a type of person who took drugs, inhaled them in the school bathrooms; typical teenage things you would do.

Chase had never given in to his persuasions, never thought about taking anything like that because his parents never agreed to such criminal activity. Still, he found himself using some of Tay's because his parent's rule didn't stand, not if they were dead.

~

It happened on a late winter night, the night was the day shadows liked to play catch with the sharp tinge of frost along the roads. It was icy, it was dark and Chases parents were coming home from a long day of work.

"Then Quinn said she'd smack Miss Hock in the face if she did it again," the voice of Chase bounced off the glass windows and into the air vents. Laura and John both sat in the car, listening away to their son telling them about his day at school. The road was slippy which meant John had to go slower than usual, holding up the impatient traffic behind him. The sweet scent of love wrapped around all three of them even if one was absent from the car.

John smiled at his son, watching him as he drove, holding his wife's hand as they both listened and looked with curiosity. The tiny, white fragile snowflakes fell onto the windshield, flicking a button they scraped off. Laura laughed as her son made one of their jokes, John picked up the phone, touching the screen looking at the battery he had left. Not focusing on the road, John didn't realize an Audi coming straight for them at about sixty miles per hour, slipping and sliding around the road in front.

While death was the cause, he thought of himself as the reason and blamed himself.

A scream left Laura's mouth as John looked up, staring directly at the strong headlights which slammed into the engine; into the two front seats.

Chase watched a few seconds of the collision from his father's phone before the line disconnected leaving him with the images of pieces of glass flying around his parents, his passed out mother in the passenger seat and his bleeding father, conscious just about to get hit.

For Chase, it was horror.

His worse nightmare.

He sat there on his bed. His phone on the floor, having dropped it in shock. He quickly picked it up, took a screenshot of the frozen picture and phoned nine, nine, nine explaining what he had just witnessed. Not having any car to drive he ran outside into the cold and took out his old bike from the shed. Leaving the house unlocked he rode off and onto the edge of the frozen highway.

There sat the pile of metal, two cars, smashed into pieces. One man had hobbled out, equally drunk and injured; sliding about on the crime scene. Chase dropped his bike onto the side of the road and ran to the remains of the totalled blue car his parents owned.

"MUM! DAD!" he kneeled in the glass shards pulling the door as it was upside down. Wiping his brow he touched her body, her wrist was cold and motionless.

Ignoring that, he took off her seat belt and slid his arm underneath all the tiny sharp blades of glass and pulled her out ever so gracefully. The drunken had stood behind him, watching him from behind as he rest his head onto her chest.

Her face was pale as chalk and her hair stuck to her face with dried blood. Her eyes stared at him masking the last scream she had just taken. His hand shook as he took two fingers and carefully shut his mother's eyelids.

"She's safe now."

He cried as he ran to the other side of the car. His father laid on the seat upside down, bloody and dead. Again, he moved him out getting pierced by the shards from the windows. Again, his whole body shook as he shut his father's eyelids. The drunken accompanied him again, seeming fine but hinting apologetic.

Chase wiped his tears away and stood back up, turning towards the man.

"I'm sorry, " he said looking at his feet, "It was my wife's remembrance today." he stood there for a few more seconds before getting ready to greet the sirens that came silently.

The thing no one can stop.

Not even death.