iv. summer

It had only been three days since Taehyung had officially taken over where Fuuta had left off and already things were moving smoothly. He had sent word out after the leader meeting that the previous overseer had died and he had stepped in to handle any and all further issues as well as oversee the actions of the demon hunter organization.

Over the course of the days, Hoseok had been his shadow. Following him when he wasn't given orders, or fulfilling the orders given to him by the younger man before returning back to his beck and call. Hoseok watched Taehyung carefully. Taehyung was as hard boiled as he was led to believe and the entire situation had to have been crawling under his skin- he just couldn't voice that.

You had still remained in your fox form, tailing behind Taehyung- viewing him as your new master- and abiding the exact way Hoseok did. You would go if you were told to go and would do whatever task was asked of you. You even obeyed tasks that held the criteria of traveling with Hoseok to somewhere in the city. You weren't overly fond of the idea that you had to occasionally run errands with the one demon hunter who you had fought with on multiple occasions, but you didn't want to be yet another weight on Taehyung's shoulders.

He was so young and yet already commanding such a large organization. Filling the shoes that Fuuta once did was difficult and there would be no shortcuts as he grew into them. He would just need to follow his gut and learn from experience.

It was the beginning of the fourth day where Taehyung had sat himself in his room as he took to his desk on the floor that sat at mid-torso as he knelt in front of it. His legs were tucked under his rear as he was leaned over onto his wooden desk space. His elbow pushing into the wood as his curled knuckles pushed into his forehead. His nighttime kimono was covered in creases and wrinkles, hanging loosely off his shoulders and open at the chest. His long hair hadn't even been brushed out yet.

He rubbed at his temples before he sighed and lifted his head back up, dropping his arm to rest over the desktop. Looking behind him, there your fox body slept curled into an oval. You had a habit of sleeping beside his head ever since you regressed to your fox form. He leaned back, bracing one of his arms behind him as he twisted at the waist to look back at you with a small grin.

Perhaps it was because you were sleeping, but the small licks of fire that always swirled and flickered from your tails and paws were diminished in the orange light of dawn through his window.

"Y/n," he softly called. On command the fire that had been small struck to life in small waves of blue as your eyes opened. Bringing your canine body up to arch into a stretch, you were soon prancing on your fire-wisped paws to Taehyung's side.

You sat beside him, looking up. The top of your head all the way down your spine to your settled two tails were a straight arrow. He used the hand that had braced his back to come up and pet at your head, thumbing behind your ears and smoothing out your bed-fur.

"I have something for you," he told you, his voice still not as awake as his body. He reached to his desk, pulling a small wooden box from the far corner of it and brought it into sight. "This box contains something meant for your safety on your future journey with Hoseok. However, I'll need Hoseok here with you both before you can be granted it. It will also act as the official marker of the start of your mission."

Your wide, fox eyes looked at the wood finished box. Part of you didn't want anything to do with whatever might be inside if it meant that the object would push you out of this compound with Hoseok. However, you knew that this mission was important- and not just to you. You just bowed your head at him.

Taehyung then directed a small, sadden smile at you. He moved his hand from your head and down your neck to your back. Repeatedly petting you in long strokes.