Chapter 15: This Isn't the eighteenth century!

Chapter 15

~Previously~

“Y didn’t u tell me the council wld choose a mate for u if u don’t find 1 by ur 2oth?

“I’m in a meeting right now, we’ll talk about this at school tomorrow ok?”

“Fine.”

~Present~

He was late.

I reread the text, then placed the phone in my pocket once more. Classes had started thirty minutes ago yet I still stood outside, leaning against the ancient tree at the front of the school, waiting for him to get here. I couldn’t believe I was skipping classes for the ‘pleasure’ of getting bad news.

Ever since my mom had told me about the whole Council situation last night I’d been on edge, I was so nervous to hear what he had to say because I honestly didn’t know how I’d manage without him. The very thought of going back to the life I had without him scared me shitless.

I didn’t want him to find a mate…ever. Selfish, but I didn’t give a damn, I just wanted him to myself. When I felt the violent shiver that ran through my body my eyes widened. My wolf was actually agreeing with me!

I looked up when I heard the slamming of a car door to see Carson walking over to me, his bag slung over his right shoulder.

“Sorry I’m late, got held back by the council.” He said and my eyes narrowed.

“What no greeting?” he said again with a slight smile. When I didn’t reciprocate his face fell and he started his explanation.

“I know I should have told you, but honestly I didn’t see the point.” he began.

“You didn’t see the point of letting me know that you were just pretty much using me for sex until you’re mate shows up or the council chooses one for you?”

I knew I wasn’t being fair and I knew it wasn’t the truth but I was too pissed and scared to care.

His eyes darkened and his mouth flattened into an angry line; “Stop talking fucking nonsense Laken, you know that’s not what’s going on here!” he all but growled at me.

“You probably didn’t intend to do it but that’s exactly what’s happening. When you find a mate or the council finds one for you then that’s it for us.” I looked at him, trying to hold back the tears that had gathered.

“I’m not looking for a mate and I sure as hell won’t let the council choose one for me. Like I told you before I’m going to tell the pack I’m gay eventually but in the meantime they’re gonna have to get over the fact that I don’t give a damn about heirs and all that shit. The only thing I care about is you and don’t you dare forget that!” he poked me in the chest as he said the last bit clearly still furious with me.

 My heart soared at his words because I could tell he was dead serious and when Carson was like this nothing could sway him. Maybe, just maybe this could end well for us. My face broke out into a wide grin at his words but fell immediately when something occurred to me;

“What if I find a mate?”  I asked, my eyes wide

. Why hadn’t I thought about this before? If I found a mate, I would be bound to him/her and I would lose all feelings for Carson. Just like that. Werewolves (with the exception of the Alpha bloodline) weren’t able to sense their mate until they reached the age of eighteen.