Chapter 1 - The First Secret is Out (Present)

DISCLAIMER: Full Credit goes to the creators of The Legend of Korra and Avatar the Last Airbender series. I am by no means taking any credit for the character, settings, or the whole "bending" thing. I will do my best to credit the creators of the headcanons I borrowed, but I am not perfect. Let me know if I miss anything. Please feel free to comment on what I can do better as a writer! I am open to CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. I don't have any Beta readers so any grammatical and spelling errors are mine. I am in the process of writing a theme song for this on the piano, and I will attach it to one of the later chapters. My idea is that Lin plays piano, so hopefully I can come up with something good! Cover art credit goes to @tinylittlangie on Pinterest. (I think) 

________________________________________________________________________________

"Lin are you ready to go?", Kya called. 

"Yes, just give me a minute to get situated!", Lin called back as she slid the power banks onto her leg braces. (I'll go more into depth on how they look and work in the later chapters)

"Lin", Kya says as she walked in. "You know that you don't have to wear those right now. The whole point of us going to Air Temple Island is to tell everyone about the secret you and I have been keeping."

"But I thought that we were going to tell them about us dating?"

"Oh, umm that too, but I thought we could tell them about you know, this, too.", Kya responded, gesturing to the platinum braces that basically walked for Lin. 

"I'm not sure I'm ready for all the kids and  your brother to see me as some sort of cripple.", Lin said, her face hard. 

"Lin, nobody is going to see you as a cripple. If anything, they are going to know you're even stronger."

"You don't know that. I don't care what they think of me. I just don't want their pity.", Lin spat out the last word like it was poisonous. 

Kya sighed. "Fine, how about we start by telling them about our relationship, and then we can explain what happened with P'Li."

"Sure.", Lin replied, sarcastically. "Because it will be so easy to tell them that I got blasted in the back by the third-eyed freak, and it left me completely paralyzed from the waist down and now I have another scar, that is even uglier than the other what, 40 million that I have?

"Lin I-"

"And now that we've decided to tell all our secrets to the world, why don't we tell them that you and I are the Earth and Water Titans?! Let's put a huge target on our backs! Fantastic!", Lin finished, anger evident in her green eyes.

"Lin, we don't have to tell them anything if you don't want to. We can just tell them about our relationship and figure the rest of this out.", Kya said, with a hurt look on her face.

"I'm sorry for yelling. It's been a long day an-and um, it hurts."

"I'm not upset, I just don't want you to put yourself through unnecessary pain at home too."

" I use my chair at work, and all the officers know. I just don't want your brother to become even more of a stick in the mud just cause I can't "walk" normally." , Lin explained with a smirk. "It's not like the pain is ever going to go away either, so I might as well just deal with it."

"Haha, I know TenTen can be kind of overbear- Wait. You actually use your wheelchair at work?"

"Um, well I usually do, unless there is some Triad busting to do. All of my officers know what happened and they have been very good at keeping it secret so far."