Chapter 1

MacKenzie's POV

"Ren, Sweetie we need to go. The cab is here." I informed my daughter who was fetching her teddy bear from our old room.

"Okay Mommy." She smiled at me, turning around to face me with a toothy smile as she ran to my side.

Bending down, I couldn't resist her chubby cheeks. I pressed a couple of kisses onto them, making her giggle and making me smile.

"Okay, let's go before we miss our bus." I said as I took her tiny hand in mine and guided her to our packed luggage." Stay by Mommy's side okay?"

"Yes Mommy." She smiled at me,her chocolate brown eyes that resembled mine, shining in childlike happiness.

Grabbing the two handles, I pulled the two suitcases out of the apartment, luckily our apartment is on the ground floor. The cabdriver got out and walked to me.

"May I Miss?" He asked.

"Please." I politely smiled.

He smiled back before taking the bags and rolling them to his cab. Opening the trunk, he placed them in, just as I let Serenity get in the backseat before jumping in after her and closing the door behind me.

"Mommy?" My daughter's sweet voice called, making me turn to her.

"Yes, my Love?" I smiled at her.

"Please help me put on my seatbelt?" She asked.

"Of course Baby." I smiled in approval.

Raising Serenity was far from easy, but my sweet Baby has always been obedient. She never caused me problems, still doesn't. She's just the sweetest and I'm the proudest mom to be honest. I absolutely love my baby girl.

My life has not been the best but not the worst either. I was raised by my aunt, Jennifer. My parents ditched me at the hospital immediately after I was born, so since Aunt Jennifer was the only relative I had left, they left me in her care. She took good care of me and raised me well, she showed me love and I was just happy, I did not crave any other parent. Unfortunately everything came crushing down when I turned 18.

Aunt Jennifer had arranged for me to get a job as a hairdresser since I had finished high school the year prior. It was my first day there and I was happy of course. The day went well and that's where I met Serenity's father also known as my ex, Mason. He was such a fun person to be around and we became friends that very day.

I was exhausted when I got home, just to find the house locked, with all the furniture out of sight from outside, with a sold sign. I panicked wondering where my aunt had gone, just hoping that she was alright. I don't know what made me go to the mailbox, but I did. I opened it and found a letter with a key from my aunt. She had left with a new boyfriend she met online. She apparently had fallen in love and had decided to move in with him in another country.

She told me how much she loved me. Even that she had sent me money in my savings account and had gotten me an apartment. She even went as far as to pay for my apartment for two months. My clothes had been moved there that very day while I was at work and she had even stocked it with food and her furniture that she didn't sell. I felt heartbroken, betrayed and alone, but I had no choice but to live there.

A couple of months later I moved in with Mason, left the apartment and sold the furniture and put the money into my savings. Mason and I had become the closest of friends then, but we had feelings for each other, so we eventually decided to explore them. People told us that we made the cutest couple and I guess we did. We were so happy together, he was only two years older than me, so there was no problem with that.

We waited to initiate any sexual gestures until I was 20. We used protection but I fell pregnant. The birth control had lost effect because a couple of weeks prior I wasn't quite well so I had used antibiotics.

I was so conflicted between happiness and fear but Mason reassured me that it would be okay and I believed him. He supported me and was just the best that is until a week later. I had a day off while Mason had to go to work that day, which was normal. The day passed and at the time he normally gets home, he didn't. I tried calling him but his phone just went to voicemail.

I don't know how I slept that night, but I did. I went to work the following day and they told me that he had resigned with immediate effect that exact morning. I obviously tried calling again but he didn't answer,until I finally gave up.

I got Serenity several months later and it's just been my baby and I ever since. It has been hard being a single parent, barely earning enough to care for two of us and pay for all our expenses. It was already hard without Mason, but add a baby on-top of that, it became difficult but I pulled through with the little salary I earned. Then it recently got worse, the salon where I worked decided to move, so I lost my job. It's been a month since I've been searching for a new one, but it's not easy to find one in such a small town, so I got onto the internet.

I found a job a few cities away, I have an interview there in three days. This town has bad memories for me so as sad as moving is, it's also a breath of fresh air for me. It will be a much needed new start for my baby and I.

*****
Pierce's POV

"Dad!" Called Milan as he entered our indoor gym."Still anxious?" He asked in disbelief.

"Yes, and I have no idea why. My wolf just feels so restless. It's been a couple of hours already." I said as I lifted my dumbbells.

"I just hope it's nothing bad." He sighed as he took a set of dumbbells and joined in my exercising.

"You and me both, Buddy." I said.

My name is Pierce Wright. I am a warrior wolf, yes I'm a werewolf. I have a twelve year old son named Milan. Him and I have a very close relationship but I don't blame him, I'm all he has aside his grandma.

My mate, Ria and I met during our first day of training as warrior wolves. We fell in love right off the bat, and became each other's everything.

Four years later my mate gave birth to Milan. We were a happy little family, content even. That's until the rogue attack happened. Ria didn't need to participate in the fight, but she did. She was fighting three rogues when one attacked her from behind. I was too late to save her and I blame myself everyday for that. Because of me, my son grew up without a mother.

Our pack lost one of it's best warriors that day and I lost the love of my life. The mother to my son. If I had gotten there earlier, I would have saved her.

"Dad, are you okay?" Asked Milan as he looked to me with concern.

Plastering a small smile I gave a nod as I ran my hand through his hair. Please forgive me.

"Dad, it's not your fault. What happened happened, it can't be taken back. You have to move on, plus I'm good with you playing both Mom and Dad." He beamed at me, obviously trying to cheer me up.

"Thanks Bud. How lucky am I to have such a great son." I said as I ran my hand through his hair again."Let's go out for lunch, just to spoil the best son in the world." I winked.

Milan might but young, but he's very smart. Since he found out that I still blame myself for his mother's death, he's been trying to take the blame off my shoulders and its improving day by day.

More days than others, I realise how lucky I am to have him. My rock. A warrior with his son as his rock, ironic indeed.