Chapter 2

MacKenzie's POV

Ren and I walked into the cosy little bakery and headed towards the cashier.

"Good afternoon Ma'am, what may I get for you?" Asked the man with a polite smile.

"Hi. Could I please have three croissants, one plain one and two stuffed with cheese. Can I also have one cup of cappuccino and one cup of white hot chocolate?" I asked as I let go of Ren's hand and opened my bag, pulling out my slightly tattered, navy blue and white purse. I need a new purse, this one is getting embarrassing.

"Milk or foam Ma'am?" He asked.

"Milk please." I smiled up at him as I closed my bag and moved it back to its original position. I then moved Serenity in front of me, so she could survey the baked goods even more.

"Alright, that will be 75 Erasis' Ma'am." He said as he looked up at me.

With a smile, I pulled my blue debit date out of my purse and handed it to him. He took it and inserted it into the card machine, did something on the screen then turned it in my direction for me to enter the pin. I quickly punched it in before turning the card machine back to him.

He took out the card and slip, handing them to me.

"Would you like them to go or are you eating in?" He asked.

"What do you think, Ren?" I asked my daughter.

"Can we sit Mommy?" She asked with puppy dog eyes, knowing very well that I can resist them.

"Yes, we can Baby." I smiled at her before looking up at him,"We'll eat in, thank you."

"Okay, please choose any vacant table and I'll bring them to you." He said.

"Okay, thank you." I said,"Let's go find a table."

I let Ren choose a table and obviously she decided that the window table was the best so we made our way there. As I walked I swear I could feel eyes staring at me, making me feel a bit uneasy but I tried to ignore them. Maybe people are normally regulars here, so they are surprised to see someone new.

Luckily enough, there was a highchair there so I simply placed Ren in it before sitting down next to her.

Ren immediately started talking, telling me about her shows and being the good Mom that I am, I listened to half the things that she said. The rest past me like a blur, unfortunately.

Ren and I have been here for four days now. My interview went well, but I have yet to receive the final notice. I started searching for apartments, but I have not found an affordable one yet. I am literally living on my few savings now and I know that tomorrow is our last day at the motel room I booked. I booked it for five days and I can't book it for more than that. My money reserve is running low, but Serenity is just a toddler so I can't withhold her from everything, which is why I decided to visit the bakery with her, just to spoil her a bit, regardless of the money struggle we're facing at the moment.

"Mommy, can we go to the park?" She asked, knocking me instantly out of my thoughts, but not out of my worries.

"Sure Sweetie. Eat first,then we can go, okay?" I asked her as I noticed the food on the table that I had forgotten.

We ate our food then out we went to the park opposite the bakery.

Luckily I had her wear shorts and a pink shirt today. Anything else would have been terrible for playing and for washing later.

I sat under the shade on one of the benches and watched her play on the slide. My worries are literally eating me alive at this moment.

"May I join you?" Asked a masculine voice, turning my attention to it.

My breath felt like it got knocked out of my throat that immediate moment as I stared at the most handsome man I've ever met. He had brunette short hair, styled in a messy hairdo. His eyelashes were so long and curved that they accentuated his high cheek bones and his sapphire blue eyes. He had slightly bushy eyebrows to go with them. He had on a white fitted short sleeved top, a pair of black skinny jeans and black and white sneakers. His top made sure that his muscles were outlined and boy were they huge. He was not buff but he definitely was muscular.

"Yes, sure." I answered with a polite smile.

"I'm sorry if this is invading your personal space or personal information but are you okay? You seem overly stressed and I just couldn't help but to come and ask." He said, concern clear in his voice.

For some reason, I felt so safe and comfortable around this man. Like I could trust him with all my secrets and problems so before I could hold myself I admitted.

"I'm not okay. You see, my daughter and I just moved here. I checked into a motel five days ago and now I'm in desperate need of a job and an apartment because my reserves won't last us for long." I tiredly sighed, worry filling every word I spoke.

"Can I possibly help you in any way?" He asked, looking genuinely ready to help.

Why would such a handsome guy be so willing to help a stranger. I feel like I've known him for years, which is insane but that doesn't mean anything. He's still just a stranger after all.

"No, it's okay. I'll figure everything out." I reassuringly smiled," I better go. Thanks for listening to a stranger's cries though." I teased.

He chuckled, making my heart drop to my stomach as butterflies danced around it in happiness. It was so heavenly, featherlight and deep, making me want to bask in its glory forever.

"Anytime." He smiled.

With a smile, I walked to Serenity who was playing with a boy who seemed a bit too old to want to befriend a toddler. He looked to be around 10 to 13 and looked like the look alike of that man I just spoke to. He must be the man's son. Like father like son.

"Hello there."I greeted with a smile.

"Good afternoon Ma'am." Greeted the boy with a toothy smile, making me just want to squeeze him into my arms and never let go. I felt like a part of me connected with him then and there.

"Mommy!" Exclaimed Serenity excitedly as she jumped onto my legs and hugged them.

"I'm sorry but Serenity and I have to leave now." I apologetically smiled at the little boy.

Disappointment took over his cute features but he immediately covered it was a happy smile,"It's okay. It was nice playing with you, Serenity. I hope we can play together again soon." He told her.

Serenity turned around and said,"Can Mommy and I take you home with us? I like you, you're like an older brother." She pouted as disappointment filled her features too, making guilty grip itself on me as it stayed in my stomach.

"I'm sorry." I apologised to them,"Come now, say bye Ren." I coaxed her even as I wanted to take his hand and take him with me. What is wrong with me today? Maybe it's just my motherly instincts.

"Bye. It was nice meeting you." She smiled, though it did not meet her eyes as other days. She must really have taken a liking to this little boy. Even I have, like mother like daughter.

"Bye." He waved at her with a smile.

I took her hand in mine,"Bye Sweetheart." I said to him as Ren waved at him before we left the park. I gave the man a quick smile and wave, which he returned, making my stomach go mush.

At 25 years, I have a crush. Unbelievable.