Тринадцать

It's Too Late

It's Too Late

THERE WAS ANY ARGUMENT ON WHO'S HOUSE THEY WERE GOING TO FIRST. Jonathan's. After all, his mom already knew what was going on, and would probably like to know that they just blew the lid on the whole thing. Ira didn't argue. Better than trying to explain to her parents that she totally skipped school for an absolutely normal and not illegal reason. Now please let me run off again so we can try to contain the fallout?

Snowball's chance in hell that would go well.

The Byers' house was average. On the small side, definitely not an expensive house, but it was put together. It wasn't collapsed in on itself. You could, like, live in it. Which was the most Ira expected from a house.

"Home, sweet home, am I right?" Ira climbed out of the car.

Jonathan started toward the door. "I don't think anyone's home..."

"Where the hell would they be?"

Instead of answering, Jonathan unlocked the door. It was...not what Ira expected.

The house was as homely on the inside as it was outside. Scuffed up carpet, slightly used everything. It was the weird shade of brown it seemed all of Hawkin's houses became in the fall. Very simple. Quaint.

And there was drawing taped everywhere. How could Ira forget that detail?

The art ran across the floor and up the walls, and even onto the ceilings. It snaked through the house like veins. All of them were the same a thick blue line, cutting the paper in half, surrounded by black. They seemed to connect like puzzle pieces, though the papers themselves were slapped together haphazardly at best.

Nancy turned to take in the room. "What is all of this?"

"I don't know..." Jonathan admitted.

"I do," Ira announced. She whistled as she kicked at a paper stuck to the floor. "One hell of an arts and craft project."

Panic started to grow in Jonathan's voice, "This is serious."

"I'm serious, look at this place!" Ira motioned around her.

What did Jonathan expect her to do? Go oh, wow, that some great wallpaper you've got there? This was serious psycho stuff. Maybe his mom went crazy while he was gone. Shit...Ira decided to ignore that idea. They probably just got some weird-ass redecoration kick.

People did that. Totally.

Jonathan ran further into the house. "Mom? Will?"