* 1 *

The forest was magic.  That's how I felt as I drove through it on my way to my interview.  The sun's rays filtered through the tall evergreens and left streaks of light between the trunks.  It gave the forest an ethereal beauty, and I wouldn't have been surprised to see a mythical creature or two.  Bigfoot would feel right at home here with his friend, the unicorn.

I laugh to myself as I continue driving.  I love the forest. I love the soft earth, the cool air, and the way the sounds of my busy city become muted the further I drive.  Looking out my windows into the cool green, I felt as if I were coming home.  It's why I had joined the forestry service, to begin with, and now my dream job was giving me a chance for an interview. 

Bangtan Forestry Center was one of the most coveted places to work in my town.  They paid their people well to keep the forest safe, clean, and free of fire danger.  They provided onsite apartments, health insurance, and a very comfortable retirement package after ten years. That's right; after ten years, they paid for you to retire comfortably. Many of my colleagues want to work there and have tried for years, but this time, it's my turn, and I'm so nervous.

I see the turnoff to the Center up ahead and take the road indicated.  The forest becomes even lusher if you can imagine.  The road narrows and meanders through the enormous trees, and I realize that the road moves around the trees instead of the forest making way for the road.  That would fit the Bangtan philosophy of preserving the forest. 

After twenty minutes, the trees open up to a beautiful meadow surrounding the Forestry Center. A sign welcomes guests, but the parking is minimal, making it clear that not many guests are actually expected.... or maybe not even wanted.

I park my car and step out and look around the premises.  The Center sits on the edge of the forest with a large lawn sprawling in front.  Douglas firs, Spruce, and Jeffrey Pine dot the edge of the lawn leading towards the forest.  The recent rainfall helps give the place a clean and lush smell that reminds me of camping in the rain as a kid.  I love the smell of wet evergreens.  This is only one of many reasons why I love working in the forests of my home.

I walk up the walkway to the Center and pull open the front doors.  Inside, the center is open and inviting.  Along one side, a rounded staircase hugs the wall leading to a second floor where doors to more rooms can be seen. Interactive displays are set up around the room for patrons to learn about the forest.  I smile at the displays, thinking of the limited parking.  They want visitors, just not a lot of them at once, it seems.

I hear a door open, and my head tilts up at the sound of a person's footsteps on the balcony above.  An older gentleman appears as he comes down the stairs.  He notices me and smiles in a welcoming way putting me at ease. 

"Doctor (L/N), welcome to the Bangtan Forestry Center,"  he says as he walks up to me and shakes my hand.

"Just call me (Y/N), please."  shaking his hand firmly.  Dad always said to never be afraid to shake a person's hand.  It inspires confidence and trust.

"I'm Dr. Daniel Castor, the director of the Center. It's nice to meet you. Why don't we take a seat?"  He indicates a pair of couches set on the side in a comfortable array.  I take a seat while he provides a couple of cups of water from a nearby table.

"Thank you for the opportunity to interview with your amazing organization, Dr. Castor."

"Daniel, please,"  He takes a seat. "We were pleased to receive your application.  As you know, this is a highly desirable place to work in our small town, so the competition is high. We only interview the best."

I take a deep breath and smile at the compliment.  I had worked hard to excel in my field, and it felt terrific to hear another recognize my hard work.