Caught

Dream x George + some SMP members

2373 words

AU: This takes place in the Dream SMP, but back when the battle for L'Manburg's independence was going on.

~~~

It wasn't uncommon to find Dream and George, after a long day on the SMP, sitting in a secluded area, enjoying the evening air and each other's company. They would sit there, crossed knees barely touching as they watched the sun descend.

"Look, George."

The George in question, startled by the sudden break in silence, turned to the man sitting next to him. The evening light made his features look golden, soft freckles standing out more than usual.

Dream continued, gesturing to the black and yellow walls in the distance. "Everything the light touches is our kingdom." He looked contemplative as he went on.  "A king's time as a ruler rises and falls like the sun. One day, George, the sun will set on my time here, and rise with you as the new king."

George scoffed at the words, not quite knowing how else to react. Somewhere deep in his chest, he felt a pain at the somberness of Dream's words. Normally, their evenings spent watching the sun set behind the bamboo were completely peaceful, but this time, there was an ominous chill in the air.

As they drank in the last minutes of light, George's thoughts wandered to the walls that imposed on the familiar skyline of the server. He couldn't help but blame its builders for his aching heart.

Before Tommy had arrived, the server had been relatively calm and much simpler. Sure, sometimes Sapnap would cause wild shenanigans and small arguments to ensue, but it was a generally more peaceful place. Tommy had brought with him a handful of new citizens, and there was just so much happening now, George could hardly keep it all straight.

Most importantly, though, was that Dream was much too preoccupied now to spend much time with him. Especially after the succession of L'Manburg, George had seen Dream at increasingly smaller intervals, far and few between.

Maybe that was why now, he held a grudge against the revolutionaries, clad in their dumb, blue coats and three-cornered hats. Maybe that was why now, he sat shivering next to Dream long after the sun had set.

Maybe that was why now, he agreed to accompany Dream on his mission to prepare for war.

That must be the reason why, he thought, because he could think of no other reason in the whole wide server why he would ever want to be sneaking through the expansive, dripping, cold sewer system with an inventory filled to the brim with explosives.

A steady dripping noise was the only sound besides the three sets of footsteps, moving as quickly and lightly as possible. George nearly slipped a number of times on the slick stone floor, being caught off guard by Dream's sudden turns through the tunnels. Only Sapnap's hand on the back of his shirt kept him upright.

Eventually, after countless right- and left-hand turns, Dream stopped. His abrupt movements again caught George unaware, and he slammed into Dream's back. Sapnap, following (too) closely behind, only squished him further.

"Sapnap!" George complained, voice slightly muffled from where his head was shoved into Dream's cloak. 

"George," Sapnap said in the same tone, poorly imitating George's accent, but ultimately backing away to give him space.

Dream turned around and shushed them before beckoning them closer, as if George hadn't gotten up close and personal with the cloud design on Dream's cloak just seconds before.