Now or Never - Chapter 4

Varian awoke to the soft tickly feeling of a tongue against his palm. Varian glanced down, still sleepy to see Ruddiger, his loyal raccoon, gently licking his hand as it hung over the side of the bed. "Good morning, buddy!" Varian groaned, sitting up and stretching, his black, fluffy hair a frizzled mess. "Whatcha got there??" He asked reaching for the paper crumpled in one of the raccoon's velvetty paws.

Ruddiger gave an excited chitter, perching on the young alchemists shoulder and looking out the window that filtered sunlight into the room.

'Dear Varian,

I thank you again for you and your father's hospitality towards me! i apologize that a couldn't have stayed longer. I woke up early this morning did my sight seeing, and went on my way East, through one of the lesser known forest passes. Thank you again so much for everything (Including not ratting me out!)

~Iris Sprucethorn'

Varian jumped uot of the bed, almost sending Ruddiger flying like he did his sheets. "OH NO OH NO OH NO!" He cried frantically scrambling about the room, changing, stuffing things into a bag, and grabbing his alchemy travel baggage. "I hope she's not too far ahead!!!" Varian cried to Ruddiger who clung to his perch for dear life, fur bristling in every direction. "I mean, i was thinking about going with her but now i may not even have the choice if I don't leave right now!!!" Varian cried, he had always wanted to go on an adventure outside of Corona but he wasnt sure how or when! And now that the perfect chance had just walked into his life it was leaving just as quick. "OK! I think that's everything!!" He checked his stuff for the 11th time, rushing out the door with his staff.

As he madde a mad dash for the forest path he felt best matched her description, he passed his Dad in the fields whom he quickly tackled with a hug. "Bye dad! I love you!!!" he squeezed his father in a tight hug.

Quirin took one look at his son, "Where are you going?" He asked, both curious and a little concerend. "On an adventure!" Varian replied already starting to run off. "How long?" Qurirn asked again. "I don't know but i'll be fine dad, don't worry!! I'll come back in one piece i promise!" He called, waving, then turningand bolting for the forest pass.

"Its now or never!" Varian huffed to himself as he ran, Ruddiger by his side, the sun slowly climbing higher as the day began.

Iris strolled along the pass, smilig to herself as things seemed pretty uneventful. Walking along she listened to bird song and the soft thud of the grass and dirt path beneath her feet. The trees were think and dense yet sunlight still filtered threw the trees.

"It'd be nice to have a companion..." Iris sighed, a little disappointed. After her encounter with the alchemist she found herself missing the company of another human being. "But such is life I suppose... I disintegrated care in the orphanage so why do I care now?" She asked allowed, upset that it was bothering her. "I guess it was still painful then too..." She quietly admitted after a while.

Around noon, Iris stopped to take a lunch brake, resting on a rock and dropping her stuff on the grass beside her. "Gah..." she rubbed her sore shoulders and legs.

She allowed herself to relax, running her hands threw her messy hair. True she was unaware that anyone was around but she felt it important to keep herself in good condition. So she pulled out her brush from home and began running it through her lower back length hair.

————————————

Varian trudged along finding himself out of breath, it was a about mid-day When he nestled himself in a soft bush with Ruddiger. "I dont know... I'm starting to think we went the wrong way.... maybe we should just head home..." Varian huffed dejectedly. Ruddiger reaches up a tiny hand to stroke his companions cheek comfortingly. "Thanks buddy..." Varian smiled.