The More The Merrier - Chapter 10

Varian awoke on the floor of the inn, with Ruddiger curled up beside him. Looking around for Iris he realized she was gone. Thinking on where she could be he realized that she might have gone looking for the river; he remembered her mentioning her enjoyment in swimming. Slowly sitting up and rubbing the sleep from his eyes, he noticed Chess talking with some customers. "Hey! Did you see Iris leave this morning??" He asked, making his way over, hair still rumpled from the night before. Chess looked up, "No, Did she leave without you?! Pfft- and I thought you two were meant to be!" The server began to laugh. Face flushing, Varian's shoulders slumped. "I think she went down to the river you mentioned. S-She likes to swim, sooo...." He told him, trying to ignore Chess's comment. Chess thought for a moment "She did seem really excited yesterday...." He agreed. "The river is behind the tavern about a ten minuet walk." He told the alchemist who thanked him and turned to leave before skidding to a stop. "Um, could I actually ask a quick question??" He inquired

Chess cocked a brow. "Sure, shoot."

"Uh, heh where'd you get that gemstone??" Varian asked, pointing to the deep, blood red stone pinned to Chess's chest. The young adult furrowed his eyebrows, "Hmmm, I think I found it just laying here on the counter one evening, asked around and everyone refused ownership to it... so I kinda just took it for myself... Why?" He asked, Varian feeling a stronger desire to bring him along on their quest, "Oh you know, no reason, just curious I guess!" Varian chuckled, not wanting to say too much until he had talked to Iris.

Chess shrugged to himself as the alchemist bolted out the door, heading for the river.

It took roughly six to seven minuets for Varian to reach the river. The excitement of his churning thoughts sped him along in a jog. As the trees thinned, the river came into view. There was a decent ten yard perimeter of clearing between the river and the forest. Large rocks provided a beautiful river bed, the water splashing up in some places, kept at bay only by the raised bed of stone. The boy climbed the rocky river sides to get a better look around.

He was not the only one there. A small hand full of other people and creatures were gathered, spaced decently apart along the edges of the water. Most of the clear stream flowed at a slow and calm pace, the surface practically invisible; none the less a loud roaring of the water filled his ears. Incredible, colorful reefs and coral lined the canyon-like walls down into the ever darkening depths. It looked almost as if there was no water at all with how clean and clear the stream was. Starstruck, the alchemist couldn't take his eyes off the gorgeous view; fish and sea creatures of all sorts could be seen calmly darting about, some humanoid figures swimming about as well deeper down. The water was a clear sparkling blue. Most of the river was open and quite visible from any stand point along its wide banks. only a few plant or rock covers created any kind of hiding place.

Remembering why he had come, Varian shook himself from his trance and searched for his friend. As he trailed the uneven bed, he found Iris's top, decorative shirt, bag, towel, and leather sash. 'Well now i at least know she's somewhere near by!' "Iris!" He began calling her name.

--------------------------------

Iris darted through the water. She was delighted by the stunning and fantastical scenery of the giant river and inhabitants. Despite this, she swam alone far below the surface; the other merfolk keeping their distance because of not only her specie's darker nature, but her abnormality to take a human form. None the less she enjoyed herself. Her white and silver shining tail glistened as bright as the sun against the water's surface; her long blue and green fins helping her to glide gracefully along the chasm walls.

Whilst she enjoyed herself, she quickly remembered her companion whom she had left asleep in the inn. "Crud! ah, I totally forgot!" Iris abruptly stopped in her tracks, darting upward toward the water surface.