chapter eleven

chapter eleven:: do i wanna know?

MY breathing felt heavy on my lungs as I saw Hayes sitting at a coffee table, both of our coffees already sitting on the table. I could turn around, leave him like how he left me. Make him feel how I felt. But then again, I'm not like him.

I sighed to myself as I still sat down, having him look away from the window and smile at me. He scooted close in his seat, leaning lightly on the table that gave us a reasonable distance, "I'm glad you agreed on seeing me."

"I only did this to ask you some questions," I told him, watching him slide my cup against the table so it's closer to me. I then moved the coffee to the side, watching him smile a little when I did. "Hayes, why did you come back?"

"For you," He answered quickly, meeting my eyes, "You're the only reason I'm back here."

"Hmm, and it has nothing to do with Caleb?" I asked and watched him hesitate, so I scoffed, "Already lying?"

"No, no, it's just I did want to come back for Caleb," He agreed, "But I found you a thousand times more important."

I let out a dry laugh, "So 'important', you left?" He then lowered his head, so I smirked a little before taking the coffee and sipping on it. "Why did you do it?"

"Do what?"

"Wake up one morning and decide you're going to abandon the one person you have in your life, who loves you?" I questioned, "When did you decide it and why did you think it was okay to leave me like that?"

"I left because of impulse," He grabbed his coffee and met my gaze as he sipped on it, "I thought of no one but myself at that moment, like always. Yet once I reached the airport, my mind instantly thought of you and how hurt you'd be to know I left you, but I also hoped that you'd be glad that I did."

"'Glad'?"

"I left to protect you," He explained and I scoffed.

"What a good way to protect someone," I remarked sarcastically, "I wouldn't have cared that you left, Hayes, but you could have gave me something in that moment to explain why you're leaving or where you were going."

"At that moment, I didn't think it was right for me to do either," He sighed, "You got to admit, we weren't healthy together."

"No, you weren't healthy for me," I corrected, "You manipulated me, made me feel crazy for seeing ghost, prevented me from contacting my own father, Hayes, all because you felt like doing it. It wasn't out of love and you know that."

"I do," He mumbled, "I know I messed up and that I ruined our relationship, so I'm not here to try and get you back. I'm here to warn you."

I furrowed my brows and put down my coffee, "Warn me? About what?"

"Those ghosts," He clarified, also placing down his coffee, "They give off a certain energy you shouldn't be around."

"It's not like they murdered anyone, Hayes. They're good people," I assured him, but he shook his head.

"No, but they're hanging around a bad one. I saw them at Caleb's club the night before seeing you at coffee shop," He told me and I hummed.

"I know they told me about their deal with Caleb," I explained, "They're trying to get out of it and I'm going to help them."

"No don't, Dawn," He groaned, "Caleb has a very big plan for them and that's their problem if they want to get rid of him, don't get involved."

I let out a dry laugh, "Is this an order? Just like old times?"

"No, this is me trying to help you," He held out his hand, "If you don't believe me, I'll show you."

"I don't care what your psychic abilities is going to show me, Hayes, because I'm going to help them, regardless," I watched him lower his hand at my words, "They're my friends and I trust them."

"Is that all that they are?" He wondered and I raised a brow at him, "You're really doing it for your ghost boyfriend- that Luke guy."

"I'm doing it for all of them," I corrected, "No one deserves to be under Caleb's torment."

"You're right," He agreed, "But this- them and their situation is different and Caleb knows that. He's not going to stop and I don't want you to be collateral damage. Don't be some superhero."

"Wow, Hayes," I suddenly began to applaud him, "Who would have thought you'd actually give a damn about me. Because for four years, all you did was think about yourself, so don't come back and think you can fuck with my head and fill it with all this nonsense just because you don't want me around them."

"This isn't like before," He tried to assure me, "I'm serious this time."

I smiled at him, "You never use anything new, do you? Always the 'I promise', 'I'm serious', or 'I mean it', when in reality, you did it for yourself so you could sleep at night while I sat in fear."

"Dawn-"

"Thanks for the coffee, Hayes," I dug in my wallet and took out three dollars and a bus pass, "For your ride back to wherever you came from." I stood up from the table and walked out of the coffee shop, leaving him behind. I huffed out heavy, and try to shake off all the things he told me, but they sat with me as I went home. Caleb is dangerous and willing to do whatever it takes to get what he wants, so how much more danger are those guys really going to be?

(a/n:: I know it's short
but this is just a filler.
I want to drag out the
last two episodes as much
as possible and fill it
with a slightly different
plot so here it is

But I had a question based
on my last chapter:
when you guys get told that
someone likes you, do you
get weirded out or is it just
me?)