19 - Not So Dead

Rene, Randall and Grafton landed at the same graveyard that Rene had envisioned "No, no we need to leave" Rene stressed. Randall furrowed "She won't find us here" He explained. A fog started to climb the hills and ground "No, no, no" She cried. Grafton sniggered "It's only a bitta' fog," He told. Rene shook her head "No, you don't understand!" She freaked. Randall gripped onto her hand "Don't worry..." He reassured.

Suddenly, clapping was heard all around them. It sounded as if they stood in front of surround sound speakers "Well done" Gabrielle spoke. Rene stood in front of Randall "You're no good for nothing!" Rene shouted. Gabrielle began to laugh "If that's so...how did I persuade your boyfriend to be by my side?" She questioned. Rene breathed heavily with anger. Gabrielle appeared from the fog "We meet again" She laughed.

What no one knew was that Grafton had a trick up his sleeve "Hey Midnight!" He called. Gabrielle looked at him displeasingly "What?" She bluntly put. "What do you get when you mix yourself with the ruby dagger?" He spoke. Gabrielle furrowed "What?" She asked in a high pitched, confused voice. Grafton smirked "A dead werewolf" He replied then threw the ruby blade into her chest, killing her instantly. The ruby began to glow and popped out of her chest "It was that easy?" Rene asked. Randall scrunched his face up "That was a shitty joke" he added. Grafton laughed and picked up the dagger "Oh...Rene?" He called. Rene looked over "Make sure Midnight goes to a guy if you don't want your relationship to be ruined," He told. The white light portal opened up again and he vanished, along with the fog. Gabrielle sat up "What happened?" She questioned. Randall looked at Rene as he tried not to laugh "You flirted with my boyfriend, corrupted him and we got rid of Midnight" She explained. Gabrielle furrowed "What?" She asked confusingly. Randall tucked his lips in, moved Rene out of the way and looked at her "You hit your head" he simply put. Rene nodded, held onto his hand then sent him a grateful smile.

"What did we miss?" Lilith asked as her, Jack and Hamish ran around the corner. Randall placed his arm around Rene "Midnight's truly gone" He put. Jack sighed "Well, safe to say I'm not gonna miss him" He replied. Everyone agreed "Midnight was a bit of a bitch" Lilith put. Then everyone awed in the realisation to why Rene called him Midbitch.

A couple of days had gone by and everything seemed normal. Rene was helping Randall with his upcoming test. She sat in front of him, holding cards "What happens when a laser is crossed with a waterfall?" She asked. He thought for a moment "It gets trapped!" He replied. She nodded and placed the card down "Babies have how many more bones than adults?" She questioned. He slouched over and looked up into his brain "One hundred?" He asked doubtfully. She smiled "Correct! And that's all the cards" She finalised before putting the cards back into a pile. She leaned back against the bed board "You've got this!" She reassured. He leaned forward, hummed then pecked her "I appreciate you doing this for me" He thanked. Rene waved her hand "Oh stop!" She joked. He laughed and kissed her one more time before getting ready "As I said; keep calm and you'll do great! I'll be waiting outside of the classroom when you're finished" She informed.

As Rene walked passed the bar, she heard a familiar voice singing inside. She stopped and sighed "You've got to be kidding me..." She walked inside and Grafton was up singing 'take on me'. He finished the song and approached her "Hello!" He cheerfully shouted. Rene folded her arms and closed her eyes "Now I'm confused, you keep coming back and disappearing...make up your mind!" She exclaimed. He put his finger up "You know how Midnight was in the ruby dagger?" He asked. Rene furrowed then her expression changed to surprised "You have Midnight's hide? Don't you?" She asked. He smiled "Bingo!" He explained. He put his finger put "I'm beginning to really like it here, the afterlife is overrated" He explained, "Let's grab a drink" he stated. Rene stood put, still in shock "I don't understand anymore" She mentioned. He furrowed at her "Its just...all of this is happening and I have no idea how to process it" She replied. He nodded "What other tricks do people have up their sleeves?" He joked.

Rene stood outside the classroom for Randall. He came trotting out with a huge grin on his face "So?" She asked. He lifted her into the air "I knew most of the questions, all thanks for you" He informed. Rene grinned "That's great!" She congratulated. Her grin faded and she tapped her hand on his chest. He grabbed her hand "What's wrong?" He asked. She pouted nervously "We have a problem..." She informed.

Rene called a household meeting, everyone stood in a circle in the living room "What's going on?" Hamish asked. Rene sighed and put her hands together "So...I found someone lurking on campus" She informed. Everyone leaned in with suspense. Grafton came out from the corner "Surprise!" He called. Everyone stared at him in silence. Lilith looked at Rene "Again?" She asked. Jack stood up and instantly felt the tension between the two "He's Midnight" He alerted. Grafton pointed "Jackpot!" He replied. Hamish stood up and approached him "I never got to say it the first time around, so I will now" He started "Thank you...thank you for saving Rene and Randall" He finalised. Grafton nodded and sighed "If I can't be with her, protect her" He replied. Randall slowly and gently pulled Rene over to his side "There it is" He whispered in the process. Rene smiled "Thank you" She replied graciously.

Grafton walked into Gabrielle's old room "Jesus Christ" He simply said as his eyes fixed to the bright red. Rene nodded "Yeah...you might want to change that" She added. "Rene!" Randall called from the foyer. She leaned over the bannister "Yeah?" She replied. He called her down and she obliged. She walked up to him with a huge grin "Close your eyes" He insisted. Rene smirked again and closed her eyes. He glided her all around the house "Keep them closed!" He exclaimed. She laughed then she was drawn to a halt "Open!" He finalised. Rene opened her eyes to face her mom, Jessica. Rene covered her mouth "Oh my god!" She cried. Rene galloped into her arms "I've missed you!" She replied. Jessica awed "I've missed you too!" She replied. Jessica sat back down and Rene followed her to the opposite chair "Your idiot father called me last week...he said that you transformed into a monster" She informed with a slight laugh. Rene slowly looked up at Randall whose eyes were widened. Jessica continued "...And I told him, I said go to bed, you're drunk. He then decided to scream down the phone to me that our daughter was hanging around with witches and werewolves!" She laughed. Rene jumped to alert "He came here asking me to drop out then punched Randall," Rene told. Jessica gasped "No he didn't?!" She asked gobsmacked. Rene nodded awkwardly and Jessica looked up at Randall "I am so sorry, we're not in contact with her father anymore. He always calls when he needs something" She replied. Randall smiled "It's okay. It was a very good punch" He replied.

Rene and Jessica sat outside and soaked in the sun "Remember when we did this last summer?" She asked. Rene smiled and nodded "Yeah. I just got the letter that I got into Belgrave" She replied. Jessica looked over "I couldn't have been any prouder" She informed. Rene giggled and leaned her head back. Jessica looked at Randall and Jack throwing a rugby ball back and forward "So...what going on with you and the curly-haired one?" She asked. Rene looked over "Randall?" She questioned. Jessica nodded "I see the way you two look at each other" She informed. Rene grinned "He's my boyfriend" She replied. Jessica leaned up "What?!" She shouted excitedly. Jack and Randall looked over. Rene frantically tapped Jessica's arm "Shhh!" She laughed "We've only been together for a couple of weeks" She informed. Jessica nodded "I see" She grinned.

The boys finished up their game and walked back to the house "Girls" Randall greeted. Jessica grinned "Randall" She replied with a tone that indicated that she knew about the relationship. Randall furrowed and looked at Rene. Rene closed her eyes and sighed "Jesus mom" She whispered. Jessica looked over "What?" She defended.