~Chapter Six~

EDNA'S POV

Soft clouds misted over the sides of the wooden platform Edna was sitting on. They roiled and swirled in all directions, a sea of never-ending white, undistinguishable from anywhere in the Sky Kingdoms, perhaps even the Flower Kingdom. Edna knew that Umber wouldn't waste precious time dilly-dallying that Edna could use to escape. She would cut to the chase, and Edna knew she wanted the Elders dead as soon as possible. She didn't have much time to escape.

She stood up, wobbling a bit at the unusual sensation of being capeless. Peering over the side of the wooden platform, she decided that she could try to jump. There had to be something holding this platform above the clouds. Or there could not be, but she had to take her chances.

She flipped her body sideways over the edge, hanging from the tips of her fingers. Reaching with her toes, she brushed something. If it wasn't big enough to wrap her arms around, she'd go sliding down to whatever was under the clouds, undoubtedly full of splinters. At least she wouldn't give Umber the satisfaction of killing her, if she did die.

She swung her legs backward, and once she had gathered enough momentum, launched onto the supposed area where the pole was. Squinting against the mist from the clouds, she hit the wood hard. A long piece of ragged wood dragged along her cheek, and she winced as her healing knitted it back up.

What a waste of energy. She thought.

The moisture from the clouds made the pole slick, and she lost her grip on the ragged wood. Her heart leaped into her throat as she fell backwards into the silvery clouds, grasping at the air. She saw a flash as something flew towards her, ramming into her before she could fall. She felt relived for a second at being saved from falling to her death, before recognizing the telltale white cape of a Shadow Rebellion member. The grabbed her roughly by the shoulders, dumping her on the platform before speedily flying away. She glared at them. Next time, she would succeed. That is, if she lived to try another attempt.

ZAIRA'S POV

"It's been almost two days, they were supposed to be back by now!"

"Well, this happens a lot. We can't go running after them, they might be dong something important. We're Elders, we can't just go running off for everything! They told me they would be quick— that I didn't need to come!"

Sunny gestured wildly with her staff as she talked, and Zaira cringed away from the sharp end. Ace, who was standing at the back of the room, touched Sunny on the shoulder.

"Sunny, calm down-"

She threw her fist through his head, sending petals scattering throughout the room. She stiffly turned around and walked to the door.

"I need some air." She said, leaving the room. Ace regathered himself quickly.

"I'll just... go then." He said, and left to do whatever Ace did in his spare time.

Zaira sighed and sat down, fingering a gold trinket that she had pickpocketed from Avala earlier that day. It was about the length of her middle finger, and engraved with symbols, possibly letters. Zaira sometimes forgot that Avala's home language wasn't the Language of the Sky, but rather, the Rythulian runes.

Zaira wandered out of the room to find someplace to put the gold trinket back where Avala would find it. She was about to set it down when it glinted. She turned it over, and squinted at it. The Rythulian runes were... moving? Closing her eyes, when she opened them, the runes were still, but they had changed. They read;

For my dearest friend Avala. I know you had to leave for a very important reason, but if you are ever in a time of dire need, press on the rune below, and I will be there with assistance.