The Vault

Percy

They apparated right outside a small cottage atop a sand hill. The ocean lapped gently against the shore below, the sky bright and blue.

Hermione collapsed against Ron, who quickly brought her into the cottage, the others hurrying behind.

Fleur ran out and took Hermione. "I'll bring her up to my room," she said quickly.

Bill stepped out after Fleur took Hermione in. "It's good to see you, Ron—"

He was cut off by Harry slamming Percy against the side of the house furiously. He knew his cousin was allowing him to do so, which pissed him off more.

"Harry!"

"What the hell was that?" Harry yelled, pushing his hand into Percy's chest.

The Son of Poseidon frowned. "What are you—"

"You can't go around bloody killing people, Percy!" Harry bellowed.

Bill looked alarmed. "Who—?"

Percy pushed Harry's hands off himself. "Death is a part of war, Harry. You need to get used to it."

"You didn't need to murder Pettigrew!"

"Oh grow up, Harry! You know Pettigrew—it was us or him. He would have killed you. I had no choice!" The sky turned grey, a storm rolling in. And the waves began to lap harder.

"There us always another way!" Harry insisted.

"That's the sort of thinking that will get you killed!" Percy bellowed. The waves below grew and started crashing loudly. Thunder rumbled above. "Not everyone can live. This is war."

"Percy, you're making a storm—"

"You didn't need to torture Bellatrix! You could have stunned her!"

"She tortured me!" Percy reminded him. "And she hurt Hermione. You heard her screaming. Did you honestly think I would let her live after that?"

"Woah, you killed Bellatrix Lestrange?" Bill demanded.

"No, Harry stopped me before I could," Percy snarled.

"You want me to feel guilty for stopping you from murdering two people in one night?" Harry cried. "Killing is wrong!"

"Then I must be a horrible person, because I have murdered more beings than the population of Hogwarts," Percy snarled darkly. The sky turned dark grey behind him, the ocean waves rising to thirty feet as they pounded into the hill. "I have killed hundreds upon hundreds. And I don't regret a single one. If I hadn't made those kills, more humans would die.

When your job is to save the world, Harry, you have to be willing to do whatever it takes. The other side won't hesitate to murder. You need to remember the other side only needs to win once. We have to win every time."

Percy stepped back and stormed inside the cottage, leaving the other three behind. He took a few deep breaths, trying to calm himself to stop the raging storm outside. He didn't want to accidentally destroy Bill and Fleur's home.

He followed the noise of people moving to a room upstairs. The door was cracked open, so he slipped inside.

Hermione was laying on a bed in a white nightgown. Her skin was pale and wan. Fleur and Luna were around her, tucking her in.

"How is she?" Percy asked quietly.

"She'll be alright," Fleur said. "She just needs time to recover." The half-veela woman looked up at Percy inquisitively. "What happened, Perseus? It looks like Hermione's been tortured."