Chp 1|| Sorry, I Fell Asleep

The early morning sun seeped into Hound's bedroom, bringing with it a chorus of birds and the sounds of an alarm clock. With a groan, Hound quickly snoozed his alarm, shifting in bed to hide his face from the sun creeping up onto the bed.
After a few more moments, the alarm went off again. Hound groaned once more, but slowly sat up in bed, the blankets shifting as he shut off his alarm. Rubbing the sleep from his eyes, Hound checked his phone for any messages.
.....a voicemail?
A rush of glee ran through him as he clicked on the notification and saw the caller. Bixbee, his...friend. Hound had known them for a few years now, though he had never actually met them in person. He had been meaning to travel to visit them, but given his unique job, the opportunity had never really shown up.
With a quiet yawn, Hound rolled out of bed, the mattress creaking slightly as he lifted his weight from it.
The house was quiet as he made his way to the bathroom, the only sound coming from Hound's quiet footsteps. He fumbled with the light switch for only a moment, before finally switching on the lights.
Hound selected the voicemail, allowing it to play as he began brushing his teeth.

Hey Hound.
I know you're probably asleep right now.
It's pretty early, huh?
Sorry for calling this late.
I just..... ... I have a lot to say is all.
I uh, I wanted to tell you.
Um... I really love you.

Hound practically choked on his toothbrush, flecks of toothpaste flying out of his mouth. He stared at the glowing screen of his phone, barely registering the other words being played back to him.
A rush of magic flushed his cheekbones as he set his toothbrush on the counter, and a grin made it's way to his face.
they love me.
Another rush of glee ran through Hound, and he let out a quiet laugh, scratching the back of his skull. The rest of the message seemed to go through one ear and out the other as he leaned against the bathroom wall, a smile creeping onto his face.

Would you like to play this message again?

The automated message was a sharp contrast to the soft voice he'd been listening to, and Hound jolted slightly, reaching for his phone again.
i should probably listen to the rest of that...
Reaching for his phone again, Hound started the voicemail again, sitting on the ground as he stared at the tiny glowing screen.

I do.
It's....I haven't said it for a lot of reasons.
I guess I was..... I was scared, really.
Of you not feeling the same way, of you hating me, of...
Of a lot of things really.
I'm a pussy, ha.

A frown slowly formed on his face as Hound started at the screen, an uneasy feeling growing as the message continued.

But uh- I'm getting off track aren't I?
You know me, always rambling.
Uh, I guess I wanted to thank you?
Yeah, that's it.
I wanted to thank you for...putting up with me, I guess.
Yeah.
You've...you've helped me a lot.
You've saved my life, I don't think I told you.
But....thank you.
For everything.
I love you.

There it was again. That uneasy feeling, mixed with a small burst of happiness at the quiet "I love you."
bix, what are you talkin about....?

I'm uh....gonna go now.
I rambled too much.
Haha, uh.
Yeah.
I love you Hound.
Sleep well.

Would you like to play this message again?

Hound rose from his spot on the cold bathroom floor, a frown still on his face as he slipped his phone into his pocket and exited the bathroom.
.....i really should call back later....