4

New Text Message!

From: Bokuto (Sent July 29th at 11:56 PM)

[Hey! I hope this isn't a bad time!]

Akaashi lifted his head from his pillow and reached a hand out to grab his phone. The bright light caused him to squint as he read the message. Quietly, he contemplated on whether he wanted to respond or not. He blinked weakly and slid his fingers down the sides of his phone, a sign of weariness that he could not disobey. Akaashi watched as the screen went to black, and it was then that he placed the phone back on his nightstand, choosing to ignore the message.

He couldn't sleep for about an hour after the text, but ultimately slipped off to sleep.

Akaashi never received another message in the remaining hour that he was awake.

__________

During the next day, Akaashi decided to stay home. He sat in his room for the majority of the day, and had spent at least six hours awake until he'd picked his phone up in his hands again.

He looked at the message Bokuto had sent him the night before. His thumb aimlessly hovered over the keyboard, thinking of what to type.

From: Akaashi (Sent at 4:43pm)

[Hello.]

Bokuto:

[Hey hey heyyyyy!]

[I must have texted you while you were asleep!]

Akaashi was dumbfounded. He'd never received a faster response in his life.

Akaashi:

[Yeah, that must've been the case.]

[You say "Hey" a lot, Bokuto.]

Bokuto:

[I know! It's kind of my thing!]

Akaashi could feel Bokuto's enthusiasm through his text messages. He spoke to Akaashi as if he hadn't had a friend to text in years.

Bokuto:

[How are you today?]

Akaashi:

[I'm well, thank you... Just catching up on some volleyball things...]

Bokuto:

[VOLLEYBALL?! You like volleyball too?! WE HAVE TO PLAY TOGETHER.]

Wincing a bit, Akaashi squinted at his phone screen. Such an energetic texter, Bokuto was. He was kind of difficult to keep up with, and Akaashi felt like this would be a long term sort of thing.

Akaashi:

[Uh, sure. I mean, will they let you out of the hospital?]

Bokuto:

[I guess. I can still walk around and get to where I have to go! Pretty much the only thing wrong with me is that I can't sleep!]

Akaashi scowled. He could feel the ignorance emanating off of Bokuto's text messages. Did he really think he was admitted to a hospital just because he was having trouble sleeping? He knew full well the name of the disease he had. So then why was he so cheerful about his entire situation? Why did he lack the understanding of just how serious his condition was?

Unless... Bokuto was purposely playing the fool. He must have been.

Right?

Akaashi's grip tightened around his phone. He had to be.

Akaashi:

[Then I guess I'll see you at the hospital around a week or two from now. I know a gymnasium we can go to...]

Bokuto:

[A WEEK OR TWO?!]

Akaashi:

[Is that too long a wait? I can probably reschedule...]

Bokuto:

[Nah, it's alright! I guess I can wait that long. I've got time.]

I've got time. The words echoed in Akaashi's head, as if they'd been spoken aloud. He stared down at the screen, his brow furrowing slightly. Did Bokuto know about the lifespan of victims with his condition? Was he just playing the fool after all? Just what kind of guy was he?

Indifference morphed into curiosity, and said curiosity was what drew Akaashi closer to his new friend.

Akaashi:

[Great. I'll see you then.]