Chapter 15 - The Outskirts

All the lives that I had taken flashed before my eyes which caused me to sit up quickly. I took in a few breaths to calm my heart rate and to remember where I was. I looked around and was relieved to see I was still in the sporting goods store. The sun was out in full force and I stood up to continue my search for Lydia. I grabbed my things and was about to head out when I heard the sound of glass crunching nearby. I quickly ducked in time to miss the arrow by mere seconds. I quickly grabbed my knife and got ready to take whoever it was that came in here, down. I peeked over the counter I had ducked under as carefully as I could, only to put my knife back in its sheath.

"Daryl? What the hell are you doing here?"

"I could ask you the same fucking question," he muttered, moving past me to take his arrow out of the mannequin he'd shot.

I saw that he wasn't alone.

"Connie, right?"

She nodded then I saw Dog move from behind her to come over to me.

"Hey, there buddy," I said, kneeling down to rub the back of his ears.

I then stood up and looked back to Daryl.

"Seriously, Daryl. What are you doing out here?"

Instead of saying anything more, he took out a piece of paper from his pocket and handed it to me.

'I couldn't live with it. Henry' it read.

"Well, shit," I said, folding it back up and handing it back to him.

"Now it's your turn."

"Same thing. I can't let her go back to them, Daryl. I just can't. I made her a promise and I'm gonna keep it no matter what."

"Well, since we're here, I guess we're gonna be joining you."

"No," I said flatly.

I moved past them to head out. There was then a tap on my shoulder. I turned and saw Connie writing something in a notepad she had with her.

"We're going with you whether you like it or not," she wrote.

"Why?"

She took a second to flip to a new page and started to write something else.

"I can't live with it either," she wrote.

I looked at the both of them.

"No. You guys come and you're putting Hilltop at risk."

I turned to head out again.

"You don't think the same thing won't happen if you go alone?" Daryl retorted.

I sighed and turned back around.

"Henry being out here is on me. I had a feeling that he'd do something like this but I didn't say anything. I was too busy thinking of a way to leave to even mention it. I'll get both of them back."

"Henry is my responsibility. His mom is my best friend and she trusted me to look after him. I ain't going anywhere unless it's where their camp is."

"Daryl, you have no idea what they are capable of."

"And they don't know what I am," he retorted.

I sighed in annoyance.

"You're not gonna let this go are you?"

"Hell no."

I sighed once again. Connie tapped my shoulder and had me look at her notepad again.

"We'd have more of a chance if we all go together," she wrote.