Chapter 19 - Alexandria

Daryl was right. It didn't take long at all to arrive at Alexandria. The gates were high but not as high as Hilltop's. From a distance, I could see that they had just one person on guard. It wasn't until we got closer that I saw it was Aaron. If I was being honest, I didn't think I'd ever see him again.

"Daryl. What are you guys doing here?" he asked.

"Henry hurt his leg. He needs to have it looked at. Your place was closest. We didn't have another choice."

"What about her?" he asked, referring to Lydia.

"She's good, man. We'll take responsibility for her."

Michonne showed up next to him.

"Open the gate," she called out.

The gate to our left opened up and I was taken aback at the fact that this place looked nothing like Hilltop. It was a neighborhood. An actual neighborhood, with houses lining the streets. A parish and a section for the crops. I couldn't believe what I was looking at. Aaron and Michonne met us before the gates closed up again.

"Hey, Nat. It's good to see you again," Aaron said, giving me a hug.

"Back at you."

"Let's get Henry to Siddiq," Michonne said.

Lydia along with Connie followed Michonne to the infirmary.

"What happened after we left you guys?" Aaron asked.

"They came. Had Alden and Luke. Offered a trade for the girl."

"What's she doing here then?"

"It's a long story, man."

"Will you guys excuse me?" I said.

"Don't go far. We can't stay," Daryl said.

"I know."

I had been eyeing a water wheel the second the gates had closed up. I walked over and sat down on the dock that led to a small pond. Fidgeting with my fingers and looking out at the water, my mind started to drift. Beta had been taken care of. All that was left to do was take care of Alpha and this whole mess would be behind me. No one else would suffer under her hand. No more worrying whether or not more of these people would die because of her. And then maybe, maybe I could try to move on. Although some of these people had somewhat welcomed me into their group, I still felt like I wasn't wanted here. I had promised Tara that I'd do everything to prove myself that I wasn't like the Whisperers. That I wasn't a threat to her or her people and that I could be trusted. I hoped with everything in me that Alpha hadn't gone back to pay them a visit. Once Beta didn't come back to camp, she'd more than likely send a group to investigate. What would she do once she found out her second in command was no longer around? Would she rebel against Hilltop, thinking that they had something to do with it? Shit. I shouldn't be thinking about this stuff.

"Excuse me?" a small voice said.

I jumped and looked over to see a little girl in a sheriff's hat looking back at me.

"I'm sorry. Is this your spot?" I asked, starting to get up.

"No. It's okay. I was just gonna ask if you could scoot over."

She smiled sweetly and I did as she asked.

"So. You're new here, huh?"

"Is it that obvious?"

"Well, I do know just about everyone in this place. Plus I saw you come through the gate with Uncle Daryl."

"Yeah. There's that."