PART TWENTY-THREE: THE MARK OF AN EAGLE

"I'm back..."

Everyone's eyes was on her. No one between us had the audacity to move even a single nerve. She was oozing with too much power by just standing there.

"A-Avery..." Newt uttered. Bakas sa mukha niya ang pagkabigla. "K-Kailan ka pa dumating?"

"Ngayon, kita mo naman, 'di ba?" tanong nito at bahagyang sinipa ang dala nitong maleta dahilan para gumalaw ito papuntang gilid.

Nang makalapit sa amin ay nanatili ang paghawak nito sa dala niyang sunglasses. Isa-isa niyang tiningnan ang mga gulat naming mukha at ngumisi.

"Calm down," sabi niya. "Ako lang 'to."

"Where's Courtney?" agad na tanong ni Traise. Sa aming lahat ay siya lang itong kalmado at hindi apektado sa presensya ni Avery.

"Ewan," sabi ni Avery. "Naliligo n'ung iniwan ko r'un, eh."

"She didn't come with you?" tanong ni Casper.

"Check my luggage. Kapag wala siya sa loob, ibig sabihin, I left her abroad," Avery said and she was starting to lose her cool.

"He was asking you nicely," Aubrielle meddle. "Can't you answer nicely, too? That's a basic etiquette, though."

Nakangangang tiningnan namin ni Newt si Aubrielle.

Interesadong tiningnan ni Avery si Aubrielle.

"What's your name?" tanong nito.

"Aubrielle," she said. "Aubrielle Baxter. A prosecutor of the Criminal Department—"

"Stop," nakangising sabi ni Avery. "I'm asking your name and not your job. I'm not doing a job interview here, honey."

Aubrielle bit her lower lip.

"Ever heard of Newton's third law of motion?" Avery asked her.

Aubrielle can't answer. She was just looking at Avery's eyes.

"For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction," Avery said while walking towards her. "And that was called as—"

"The action-reaction force," Andrius said.

Ngumisi si Avery. "Thanks but no one asked your opinion."

Namula si Andrius.

Avery stopped in front of Aubrielle.

"Action-reaction force states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction," Avery started to lecture her. "For instance, a swimmer pushes against the water as the action force and the water pushes back on the swimmer as the reaction force."

Sinimulan niyang ayusin ang damit ni Aubrielle.

"Putting that as the take off point, Casper asked a stupid question and I gave him a stupid answer," she and smirked. Tinapik niya bigla ang balikat ni Aubrielle. "Action-reaction force, darling. Learn your science."

Halos matawa kami ni Newt. First, Traise and now Avery. Sa wakas, nakahanap din ng katapat 'tong babaeng 'to.

"Pffft," napatakip ako ng bibig nang bigla nalang ako matawa.

Avery looked at me with disgusted face. "Ayusin mo kilay mo. Mukha nang lilipad 'yan."

"If you came here to argue with us, the door is open," Traise said. "To be honest, we don't need you here."

Avery looked back at him.

"You have no rights to say that, Traise," Avery said. "You are not the chosen one."