the park bench

"i can't play this game of running around with you anymore."

—x to b

summer was beginning to turn into autumn and this showed through the fallen leaves filling the park. shades of bright green were beginning to mix with warm oranges, reds, and browns. the days had also started getting shorter, with the sun rising at an earlier hour each passing week.

so b was glad she had brought another layer with her, as she was able to wear it as she waited in the shadows of the large trees. she slipped on the light blue coat over her pink dress and took her regular seat at the right side of a park bench. the girl sighed, wondering when he would arrive.

x arrived a little later than the two had decided upon, but b forgave him as she knew he had to work. he ran up to her apologizing and she got up and gentle pressed a kiss to his cheek. she was glad that he was there and wrapped her arms around him, enjoying his warmth in the chilly weather.

"so what do you wanna do?" x asked, returning b's gesture by kissing the girl's forehead. she giggled and shrugged.

"we could just talk for a bit," she suggested. x nodded and sat down on the left side of the bench as b returned to her seat.

"it's crazy how early it gets dark now," the male commented, looking up at the darkening sky. he and b came to this location every day over the summer break and they were unfamiliar with the changing scenery.

"yeah," b agreed. "are you ready for classes to start in four days?" she scooted over to x and leaned her head onto his shoulder.

"no," he laughed. "it's gonna suck. especially since i won't be able to see you in a week." x said, turning to look into b's beautiful eyes. "you're gonna be so far away."

"it's just across the country," she told him, slipping her hand into his. "besides, we'll see each other during breaks and we'll call all of the time," b assured. 

"yeah, i guess," x said. he sighed and squeezed onto b's hand tighter. "it'll just be so weird. we're both college students now. our schedules won't be the same and i don't know when you'll be free. plus, things are so difficult right now already."

"i know, babe. i'm sorry," the girl said. "i promise i'll find a way to make it easier." she intertwined their fingers and snuggled closer into x's body.

x bit back a disappointed huff, having heard the same phrase fall from b's lips so many times before. "so you'll tell your parents we're dating?" he asked, already knowing the answer.

"babe, you know that it's not that easy," she murmured, not looking him in the eye.

the couple had known each other for a few years but hadn't begun to date until a few months ago, but those that knew the pair couldn't even tell because they kept it such a closely guarded secret.

"when?" x pressed. "you're about to leave. when will you have the time?"

"you know how my parents are," b reminded. "they wouldn't be happy." x felt his body tense when b left another kiss on his cheek. he didn't want a kiss. he wanted a guarantee, but he still nodded understandingly.

b's family was one of those wealthy families one would see on tv, with the drivers, penthouses, and drama. they cared greatly about appearances and had something to say about every aspect of b's life. they made her take dance and cello lessons as a child and were very strict about what she could and could not do: b was allowed to go to her friend's house for the afternoon, but was never allowed to have sleepovers; b was allowed to use the kitchen to make whatever she wants, but had to maintain a certain diet. and just like in the tv shows, she went to a fancy school with posh people and at every such school with such people, there had to be an outlier who didn't fit into the school's mold.